Q on Tip Grind

I just received a Basic #7 in a trade. Overall, I think I will like it very much. I do have a question on the edge grind near the tip. I understand the flat/convex grind that Busse uses.

On this knife, near the tip the RH bevel becomes quite wide; on the LH it is narrow but about the same as the rest of the LH side. Also, the grind at the tip does not appear to meet in the middle of the blade but rather to the LH side.

It is not a big deal, and I have other long knives where the grind at the tip is a little uneven. I was wondering if in this case this is partially an optical illusion due to the asymetrical grind combined with the edge sweep and distal taper. That is, do other Busse Basics look like this?

YES...although I can't see your particular tip, it sounds like just about every other Basic tip.

Enjoy the high performance that your Busse Basic offers...

------------------
Andy Prisco, Manager
Sharper Instinct, LLC
Phone: 1-201-493-2469
Orders-Toll Free: 1-877-557-5200
Fax: 1-201-493-2039
Visa & Mastercard Accepted

Authorized Dealers:
Busse Combat Knives and Big East Traditional Bows

Professional Shooting Svcs: Corporate Training and Stress Mgmt.

Custom Variant HeadQuarters http://home.earthlink.net/~gregrnamin/andy/sharper.htm

Sharper Instinct Website www.sharperinstinct.com

Yea, when I first took my basic#7 out of the box and looked at the edge, I thought "what the hell kind of an edge is this I thought that Busse was supposed to better then this!", then I read about it and settled down and felt a whole lot better about what I thought was a crappy grind job. Its been a very good knife so far!

------------------
Ron

OK, I later had some time to examine the blade under some good light, and it looks like the grind did indeed wander off the reservation some. The whole package seems pretty nice though. I have too many "users" to use this one too hard, but I look forward trying some.

Yeah the knives do look like they have a crooked tip. I can't remember if the rounded side is the left or right but the tip will look like it juts off to the oposite direction of the Asymm. gring. This can be seen on a lot of other knives as well. I bought Spyderco Lady Bugs for a few of my friend as gifts and the bevel is more steep on one side than the other. them not being knife enthusiasts as I am, about a week after giving them to my buddies they all started comming up to me saying the tip on this knife is bent. After showing them that is was just the uneven grind they understood. So to answer your question I doubt your tip is bent ( cause I'd like to see what jugurnaught did it) nor is there a gross imperfection in its form. It just looks funny cause both of the grinds aren't even as far as shape. If you examine the blade coating you'll see that is starts a lot closer to the edge on the rounded side because of the abrupt downward slope it takes. While there will be more bare metal showing on the "flat" side as it takes its sweet time in slanting. Hope this helped.

------------------
Everything is negotiable!
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/albumList?u=879893&Auth=false

The grind is going to appear off center because it is by a very slight degree. The left side grind (the flat grind) should appear even. This is what makes these bad boys easier to field sharpen. The right side will appear to vary in height as it is the convex side of the grind and is simply brought over to meet with the flat left side grind. Since the tips are reinforced the convex has farther to reach in order to meet with the left side. However, this does not mean that the cutting edge is not straight. In fact it ensures that the cutting edge is perfectly straight as it is indicated off of the flat left side of the blade.

In the case of other manufacturer’s knives looking off-center, that is an entirely different story. If you see a symmetrical edge that appears to be off-center then two things should be noted immediately. One, it is off-center and Two, the cutting edge is most certainly not straight. It must at some juncture do a slight twist either to the left or right. The Busse edge is always as straight as the grind. . . and that’s pretty darn straight.

When I wrote this I was pretty sure that brilliance was spilling forth and should be recorded for future generations to admire and behold. . . . . After reading it, however, I can now see where a video would make this much clearer! We’ll begin working on one tomorrow!

Yours in nuclear sharpening,

Jerry Busse

NO JERRY!!!!!!

I must forbid you
smile.gif
You need to finish my BM and the folder i will soon order before running around making hair-brained videos!!!
wink.gif

James

------------------
The beast we are, lest the beast we become.

Back