Q to Spyderco and others

I posted this some time ago: http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum52/HTML/000401.html

I sent it in, and several weeks later i received it back with a note claiming it could not be fixed due to mistreatment. I questioned this in an email to customer service (as I had never used, let alone missused the knife) and was told that was the standard letter sent back to customers if the knife could not be fixed.

Even though my knife shows no signs of being missused (it was, in fact, never used), I was then told it could not be fixed because it was made in Japan, and Spyderco Colorado doesn't have the machines to break it down to fix it. Seems odd that a company would offer a warrenty on a product they can not fix. At that point, i wrote back.

The warrenty states "As always, if a knife fails to function as it was designed, regardless of its age, we will examine its
condition thoroughly. If manufacturing or material defects are evident, it will be covered under our warranty and will be repaired or replaced with the same model or one of equal value. Cases in which it is determined that the product is not covered under our warranty, we will use our best judgement in improving its condition. You will be notified by mail of the estimate of repair cost, before work will begin."

It continues "If we are unable to improve the condition of the knife, we will return it to you with a recommendation that it be retired from use".

Well, I can assume that my knife was returned and recommended retired. Still, it was not determained that my knife's lock has failed due to abuse, and was therefore still covered under warrenty. As it was determained that this knife cannot be repaired under Spyderco's own warrenty due to outside contracting, it seems to fall under the "will be...replaced with the same model or one of equal value".

It seems it should be replaced, but I'm a bit hazzy here. I remember several others said they would send theirs in for work. What happened to those? I'd like a functional Jot, but if thats not the case, doesn't Spyderco's warrenty say they will replace it with a knife of equal value?

Thanks for the help guys, E.

BTTT

I've emailed Spyderco several times over the last few weeks with no responce. Can anybody help, or am I just sh!t out of luck?

Seems a clear warrenty issue to me. Its been weeks since I started this, and I'd like at least a straight answer.

Thanks guys, E.

[This message has been edited by afee (edited 09-04-2000).]

I believe Sal is on the road, in any case he hasn't been around the forums for a couple of weeks. You may have more luck posting on Spyderco's own forum as there are other moderators who check in there regularly. Hope this helps.

------------------
Clay

Don't worry that the world might end tomorrow....in Australia it's tomorrow already.

Its been 3 months and 5 days since this started. I mailed in the Jot again today after the people in Warrenty and repair told me to so i could pay for an upgrade. I just got an email from someone I have never delt with in Spyderco saying there is no record of me ever sending in my knife and that I should send it in so they can evaluate it and see if its covered under warrenty. They have already done that.

I'm sorry, but Spyder costumer service sucks. If you've had good luck, more power to you, but I'm faces with unanswered phone calls and emails, a company unwilling to service a knife under warrenty, then asking to reivaluate it to see if it can be serviced again. When i have gotten ahold of people, they treat me well, but that has not always been the easiest thing to do.

This is more then bad luck guys. This has been three months of work.

I'm sorry for the tone, but this is very, very aggrivating, especially since its been going on for so long.

Sal? Anybody? I just wanted a working knife.

E

Later that same day: Ok, I just got off thew phone with Mike in repair. He tells me he's going to take care of it, which i beleive (for the moment). At the same time, i am still frustrated with how long the whole thing has taken. Seems that there are several people over there trying to do well, but not necissarily communicating effectivly. I appreciate Mike helping me out, but I'm still frustrated it has come down to this point. In any event, hopefully it will be taken camre of early next week and i'll only have to post once more saying how happy I am with the way things turn out. At least i can hope so. Thanks, E

Ok, I edited for exclamation marks and capital letters so as not to read quite so angry or p!ssed off. I am still upset, but i'm a pretty calm person, in general, so i took most of the typed frustration out. I am leaving the rest though as honest opinion to how one person is having difficulty with customer service. I understand that things are in a bit of a turn around in Golden, and hope this episode can help figure out what possible faults are in the system.
[This message has been edited by afee (edited 10-06-2000).]

[This message has been edited by afee (edited 10-06-2000).]

Afee - Sorry again. I guess I'll check into it again. The department just relocated to another part of the building and there are many changes going on at Spyderco.

We appreciate your patience, but we understand why you'd be pissed off.

sal

Thanks Sal,

I second day Fed Ex'd it today, so it should arrive first thing Mon. With luck, it'll be cleared up pronto. I appreciate the help on this one (I really hate being a squeeky wheel, but sometimes it helps). Thanks, E

We understand. We also appreciate the problem. Spyderco is undergoing many necessary changes at this time. Changes often solve propblems, but transitions bring their own problems.

Sometimes being aware of a problem does not provide a simple answer. Spyderco is made of people. People learning. The ELU is the most important of our equation and we recognize this.

Part of our problem is that we do try very hard to provide excellent "warrantee and repair" service. This is large workload considering our very high quality standards and volume of knives going through.

We are fortunate in that our products seem to attract more aware and knowledgable End Line Users. It is a good thing to understand that the company building products to please you (and keep you safe) are people, working hard to do so...not an uncaring machine. Striving for excellence is an unending process.

sal

Back