Quality and detail of clone CRK's ?

An update: the Zaan checked out. I got it. Pics below.

---------------

The only reason i bring this up is because i stumbled on a local deal on a Umnumzaan that is very good... a little too good. Not a total lowball, but low on the end of what id expect someone would let it go for. I was not looking for it, it just fell into my lap, and the ease of agreeing to the price was too easy.

I wont bother posting pics as they all check out to the fine details of the images on CRK website and other users pics. And i asked for pics on the fly and they were supplied, and not file photos. All box and papers etc included, and card indicated this year production.. but maybe thats all real and the knife fake?

So as for the clones: are they being manufactured today with the new pivot, correct engravings, correct pattern on the scales, pocket clip length, frame lock overtravel stop, etc?

I can make time to go see it in person today, and buy if it looks good, but i obviously dont want to buy a fake. My Spidey sense is tingling so i pumped the brakes on the deal a bit to ask here for an opinion.

Thoughts? normally i can make a decision for myself but im really on the fence here.

Last edited:
^helpful, lol.

I searched this as much as I could here and online before I asked, but no answers anywhere.

I suppose if the guy knows enough to buy the knife he'd know to sell it here or somewhere credible if it were legit.

I'll leave it alone as that's my gut, but out of curiosity I would like to know the level the clones are at for future reference if anyone has any credible info please share, or we can just let this topic die...

I've sold CRK's on sites such as craigslist for cheaper before. Didn't have to deal with shipping, and I don't have a gold membership here.

I've heard of fake Sebenzas, but I haven't heard of fake Umnumzaans. Been out of the market for about a year and a half though, so that may have changed.

I would say that it would be hard to know for sure without pics..I don't doubt that there are clones out there of the Umnumzaan with the new pivot.

Mostly, I trust my gut on this stuff..if I missed a good deal, then that is the price of being cautious.

Well... I just couldn't resist not knowing. I met up, inspected, and made the deal.

It's 100% on the level, everything included in the box, even receipt of purchase from a store I know very well. I'm certain the blade has never touched anything, its going to cut me if I stare at it. Scale dates even correspond to DOB card. It's got a little carry wear on the clip and a snail trail here and there, but nothing I won't do anyways so it's perfect.

Today was a good day.

sDxbI7m.jpg

o1d11Pq.jpg

I am not a lanyard guy. It's gotta go...

Knife looks real nice. Congrats on a beautiful new 'Zaan and a good deal, mt666tm mt666tm ! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I am a lanyard guy and Liked your post despite your assertion. That crimson cord looks great against the blasted Ti and the bead is very sweet. I do find the CRK-style lanyards a little tight, short, and plain for my taste, though. :rolleyes:

mt666tm mt666tm , yes it was a good day for you. Sometimes the stars line up, the moon is in it's perfect phase, the birds sing and you break the luck of the Irish.
Good for you scoring a great deal. :)

200? If the price was that low id have been convinced it was fake and id have never even contacted the seller to begin with.

It was over 300US, remember i said it was not a lowball offer, but also Im in Canada and due to exchange rate these cost considerably more at retail up here. This one in partucular is 2017 mfg.

---

Edit to add: the retail price of knives does not bother me, but if I can score a lightly used knife (or gun) for a discount then the cost savings goes directly into my ammo fund. I'm a user not a collector so I'll probably end up tossing the box and papers (or burning it so nobody can try to hustle a fake). I'll keep the DOB card though.

And I really did try to like the lanyard. I had it on for a whole day, but it just drove me nuts. I just gave it away to a lucky member on this site. Airmail with no tracking. Will it arrive? ... the suspense will be worth it alone :eek:

Last edited:
Back