quality of 154cm

What are some opinions out there on 154cm? I know that one time it was "da stuff" until ATS 34 came along. I also have read that the quality of 154cm is not consistent etc...

It seems to me, by looking at a simple breakdown of the composition, there would be no "working" or "practical" difference in 154cm and Ats 34.

has anyone used it recently?

I havent used 154 in a few years . Maybe some folks here have.

------------------
Darrel Ralph / Bladesmith
Web www.infinet.com/~browzer
Take a look!!!!

154-CM is a very good steel, provided you get stuff made many years ago. I have some that is about 20 years old, is very clean, and polishes beautifully. I have heard there were quality control and processing problems, and don't believe this alloy is still in production, at least not on a regular basis. ATS-34 has sulfur, a bad thing. 154-CM doesn't.
My advice, use BG-42. It's better than both. It's got Vanadium-the best thing. It's refining those carbides and grain size, improving toughness and wear resistance.

BG-42 is available from Latrobe Steel in latrobe, PA. Their Tel. is 724 537 7711 ask for Jerry Stalnaker. They were very nice when I called to place an order...which I should get in late Jan.

Back