Quality Of modern old timer and uncle Henry knives

I have owned several USA old
Timers and uncle Henry knives. I still have a large stockman uncle Henry, which is the first knife I bought myself when I was young.
I've looked at some of the old timer knives as well as uncle henry. So sad another American company closed its doors and the new owners moved it offshore. With that said,does anyone have experien e with any of the newer knives. I like the looks of the ironwood handles but wonder much about the quality

The quality is still pretty good, excellent value. Fit and finish is very good. I have several Schrade fixed blades and just recently picked up their version of a sailing/Mariner knife with the Marlin spike and have been very pleased with it for only $18. I'm probably going to pick up the new version of the deerslayer and sharpfinger which are only $20 and $12 respectively.

Still very good buys IMO.

M<y wife once had an Uncle Henry gambler USA made, pen blade and a scissors with a bail for the key-ring. When the scissors had spring issues I contacted them about getting a replacement. The new Asian made ones used a different set up but they offered to replace it if I returned the old one. I foolishly did so, the Asian made ones were quite inferior in build and the scissors wouldn't cut. It was given away and replaced with a Victorinox for her key-ring. The Alox Vic was a much better knife at a lower cost.
Kind of soured me on the new Chinese made ones, hopefully they have improved.

You can't go wrong with a Schrade + steel USA made one though.

Asian made uncle henry and oldtimers are pretty good and very good for money.Have sharpfinger and golden spike in 7cr17and theyre good knives with good materials and bice fit and finish.Edge holding is pretty good too.Dont have usa schrades but these ones are pretty good knives.

i have one of the modern ones, not too bad, stays very sharp. however tbh, i dont use it too often

I say there pretty good overall. I have several, good fit and finish overall. The ones I have have great walk'n'talk, no blade play. For the money good solid working knives. In fact I recently bought a Uncle Henry 124 and a Old Timer 16ot hawkbill. I've been carrying the hawkbill to work this week, and purposefully working it hard. Not outright abuse, but pushing it.I want to see what its made of so to speak. As I got it on clearance for 10 bucks I ain't gonna be out much. So far its took what I've dished out, including cutting vynil skirting, sometimes directly on the ground where the blade went into the dirt( we have mostly sandy soil) cutting up the boxes the skirting came in,cutting tree roots up to 3/4 inch thick, again sandy soil, cutting vines and tree limbs. Even after cutting roots in the sandy dirt, and the vynil and cardboard, while not hair popping sharp, it still had a workable edge. I wish Schrade was still an American company, but to be honest I have absolutely no problem carrying these.
v83rz4.jpg
here it is with a Ulster scout, and a Schrade USA LB7

I have had fewer issues with the newer Schrade/Old Timer/Uncle Henry knives than I did with the USA made ones, to be honest.
Fit and finish is about equal, the newer ones stay sharp a little longer, IMHO, and most importantly, Taylor got rid of the Swendon Key construction!!!!
(BTI does not use the Swendon Key construction, either.)

I have two 3 OT small lockbacks, one in Buffalo Horn the other in delrin.

The original OTs were tough no frills work-knives, sometimes a bit rough in execution. The current ones are actually well finished, no blade play, laziness or gaps and they seem every bit as tough. The stainless holds a very decent edge too, the delrin is not as nice as the original US ones but as I say, finish is good and the pins are all nicely domed.

Worth having I feel.

I'm in the mood for an inexpensive knife purchase and this thread has me looking at the 19OT Land Shark. Anybody got one that would care to comment?

I don't have problem with inexpensive knives but my go to inexpensive knives are Rough Riders don't know why. That said I have found that RR, Schrade, Marbles, Colt and so on are all decent user knives but there are some total junk brands out there also.

My first pocket knife was an Old Timer 1040T that my grandfather gave me. Being young and foolish, I eventually broke both blades, but I still have what’s left of the knife. I’ve looked for a replacement, but the new model that Schrade is calling the 1040T is no longer the slim knife with elegant lines. It’s about twice as thick, and the fit and finish look sloppy (this is just from examining one in a blister pack at Bass Pro; no way would I buy one).
I have bought two yellow-scaled gunstock trappers, however, and I have found them to have fairly good fit at finish and blade edges, and excellent “walk and talk”.

My first pocket knife was an Old Timer 1040T that my grandfather gave me. Being young and foolish, I eventually broke both blades, but I still have what’s left of the knife. I’ve looked for a replacement, but the new model that Schrade is calling the 1040T is no longer the slim knife with elegant lines. It’s about twice as thick, and the fit and finish look sloppy (this is just from examining one in a blister pack at Bass Pro; no way would I buy one).
I have bought two yellow-scaled gunstock trappers, however, and I have found them to have fairly good fit at finish and blade edges, and excellent “walk and talk”.

hsherzfeld hsherzfeld I left a message on your Profile Page where you can buy one that is NOS.

I wish schrade was american company but chinese ones are pretty good too,and perform as well as any american company,but for bargain price.Fixed blades are very good as are folders,deerslayer and sharpfinger are excellent fixed blades,for 30$-40$,and pocket knives too,heat treat on these is very good.Chinese knives have good steels and heat treat(7cr17,8cr13,9cr17,etc).theres crap too but some of them are very good for price.Schrade is one of them and golden spike,deerslayer and sharpfinger are very good knives for money.

Basically, my experience with Chinese-made Old Timer and Schrade knives has taught me not to purchase one unless I can see it in person (i.e., in a clear blister pack or glass case in a brick-and-mortar store). I've simply seen too large of a variety in quality from Schrade to trust buying their knives blind, so to speak.

Most of them are good knives for money,theres nothing wrong with 7cr17 with good heat treat.One of my sharpest knives is enlan el06 in 9cr18 that holds amazing toothy edge that cuts on slightest touch ,and sanrenmy knife with high deep hollow grind that is literally straight razor and has similar grind.steel is 8cr13.heat treat is more important than steel type and some chinese companies do it well.

Back