Quality throwing knives?

CYA

What companies make quality throwing knives? The best ones I've seen are probably the hibben throwing knives, the rest are really junk scraps of metal.

Try Bob Patrick's zone tempered 5160 throwing knives. They have a good reputation. You can find them in A.G.Russell's Cutting Edge catalog sometimes.

Originally posted by Coonskinner
Try Bob Patrick's zone tempered 5160 throwing knives. They have a good reputation. You can find them in A.G.Russell's Cutting Edge catalog sometimes.

Thanks a lot skinner. Is that the only quality throwing knives? Seems like a very small market.

Hi

Naw there are lots of quality makers out there just most of us make our own

Bobby Branton
Lee Fugat
Myself
The guy that makes the Viper ( real expensive )
David Adamovich I think.

There is a whole bunch of us look here

http://www.sonic.net/~quine/thrower.html

What are you looking for anyway?
Knifesmith

Originally posted by Knifesmith

What are you looking for anyway?

Hey Knifesmith,

Well, I'm just looking for something to get me started. I'll probably just start off with a few production knives and if I get good maybe I'll buy a few customs. I'm amazed how expensive throwing knives are!

Originally posted by Alberta Ed
Cold Steel makes a thrower which is also a useful beater.

Thanks for the info. I like their sure flight throwers. Anyone have any opinions about the sure flight throwers and the hibben III's?

You know CYA you could make your own if you like I will give you some pointers. Simple throwers are easy to make.
Knifesmith

Originally posted by Knifesmith
You know CYA you could make your own if you like I will give you some pointers. Simple throwers are easy to make.
Knifesmith

Thanks for the offer, Knifesmith. I probably won't be making any throwers anytime soon (school, work, and lazyness) but why don't you post those pointers so that everyone here can get some ideas if they decide to make some.

Aloha CYA! I STRONGLY recomend the Hibbens... any of them (except the axe 'cause I haven't tried 'em). I currently have a bunch 'o III's and I LOVE 'em. They're REALLY easy to throw, and cheap enough that you don't cry over them if you hurt one. After practicing with those for a while, I have begun to throw some of my carry knives as well, like a BM Nimravus, CS spike (tanto), and my CRKT stiff kiss (which I have recently donated to a bladeless friend). Oh yeah, even my BM Axis lock! The hibbens have done wonders for my throwing skills! Too bad kukhris aren't meant to be thrown......:)

Originally posted by nacho1
Aloha CYA! I STRONGLY recomend the Hibbens... any of them (except the axe 'cause I haven't tried 'em). I currently have a bunch 'o III's and I LOVE 'em. They're REALLY easy to throw, and cheap enough that you don't cry over them if you hurt one. After practicing with those for a while, I have begun to throw some of my carry knives as well, like a BM Nimravus, CS spike (tanto), and my CRKT stiff kiss (which I have recently donated to a bladeless friend). Oh yeah, even my BM Axis lock! The hibbens have done wonders for my throwing skills! Too bad kukhris aren't meant to be thrown......:)

Aloha Nacho. Thanks for the info. Yeah I've heard of people throwing regular knives. But I'm too poor to buy a new one after the thing shatters or the handles fall off! Khukuri's aren't meant to be thrown? Didn't you see Big Trouble in Little China? Hehe. Seriously, I bet you could make a Khukuri thrower.

Been there done that

You can throw a kuk just make sure you dont over throw it or it uses that curve to come straight back to you.

Knifesmith

Kukhri flying back at you!?!? YIKES! I definitely couldn't work up the b@ll$ to throw a kukhri... If I injured the poor thing I couldn't bear to look it in the eye anymore:(, but props to you Knifesmith, thats fabulously savage!!:D Cya, like I said go for the hibben III's, there isn't much to break on the things, and if you need a grip on them, go for the cord wrapped ones, those are what I use... I don't think you will be disappointed with them at all.:)
"My keyboard is broken... It only types asterisks for passwords..."

Okay Nacho. I'll give the Hibben's a try. :) Anyone know if Bob Karp has a web page? I really like the design of his throwers.

Knifesmith, can we see a pic o' yer flyin' Kuk? I wouldn't mind ownin one o' those! I love the concept!

The only production thrower worth a damn are the "American Eagle" knives sold on E-Bay. Only the largest Hibbens are any good at all. The newer CS throwers look pretty good because they are large and heavy. I have not personally tried them. The older CS TFT is about the same weight as the larger Hibben, both too light.

A good throwing knife is <i><b>heavy</b></i>. Production knives are almost never heavy enough.

Throwing knives, even customs, are not that expensive, nothing like real knives. Bob Karp's knives are good, but expensive, something like $60-$80 per knife (depending on the size). You can get really good throwers from Bobby Branton in the $50 range, and from Lee Fugat even less than that. You can pick up decent custom throwers for as little as $35 each.

The thrower page at http://www.quine.home.sonic.net/thrower.html will give you lots of pointers, and there are pointers to many other web pages on the subject down at the end of that page.

Thanks for the pointer knifesmith! The url above takes you to the same place and looks a little more like a homed domain, courtesy of Sonic.

No. No, no, no, no, no. I cannot let the hibben III's be so bashed. No offense to you Matthew, but the III's are GREAT! Granted, I don't know what you use your throwers for, but the III's have always been good to me and are the easiest to throw in my experience. You may have more throwing exp. than I, but I must say that all size throwers have there place. I suppose it all depends on the person though... There are numerous things to consider when choosing a thrower, weight is one of them, but is not the foremost...
It's not the size of the boat, but the motion in the ocean that gets the party goin'

Originally posted by matthew rapaport
A good throwing knife is <i><b>heavy</b></i>. Production knives are almost never heavy enough.

Hmmm... I could be wrong but I had some professional throwing stars that were heavy but probably not near the weight of a throwing knife and these things could do major damage.

Bob Karp's knives are good, but expensive, something like $60-$80 per knife (depending on the size).

Where do you people get these from? Doesn't he have a web page or something?

Back