Queen Cutlery/Schatt & Morgan

I recently picked up a few "Schatt & Morgan" folders. Beauties- Anyone out there familiar with Queen or this brand? They weren't cheap- NEW in the box, stag. Is this a brand to (possibly) start collecting- etc..etc... I've toyed with (many) brands in the past....a causal collector- NOT a dealer or gunshow slinger....just interested in keeping a few as conversation pieces...that aren't in everybodys shop...THX.:) E-mail me at spotdirecway@aol.com I am listed under "neotoy" in this site...but have not changed the user ID yet.

Queen/S&M makes probably the best pocketknives in the USA.

You'll find more talk about them if you join us in the "Traditional Folders and Fixed Blade" forum.

I have a Queen whittler which is a great knife. The large blade was almost incredibly dull when I received it and it took a good deal of work to put a good edge on it. Now that I have it the way I like it, it's really sweet.

DGG

Queen is out of Penn I think. I have a folder they made and it is a tank, although a very sharp tank! I haven't had any problems.

waynorth

Dealer / Materials Provider
DGG said:
Queen is out of Penn I think. I have a folder they made and it is a tank, although a very sharp tank! I haven't had any problems.
Queen is in Titusville, Penn. The factory was built in 1895 approx. by Schatt & Morgan. Wonderful old building, still looks like the early 1900's in there! Go to the Queen show every other year, and you get to tour the factory; a nice experience. The last "original" handwork cutlery factory left in America, as far as I know.

brownshoe

I support this site with my MIND
I recently got an S&M 2005 english jack file and wire series and it's the best bargain I've seen in awhile. Two 3 3/4" blades of ATS34 steel, worm grooved bone handles, brass liners, nickle silver bolsters, multiple tang stamps, stamped bolster and mirror polish all for $90. The blades are clip and spear and women can put on their lipstick using their reflection from the blade.

Only complaint is the edge, although sharp, is somewhat obtuse. Minor problem, quickly fixed with a carburndum stone and then honed it out on the sharpmaker. Blades have excellent snap, don't need a lock. Blades are perfectly centered both with nice top swedges. It's definitely hand ground, finished and assembled, so a little "character" is to be expected, but the fit and finish are great for the money.

Hard to believe that spyderco, benchmade, etc charges the same amount of money or more for what is basically half the knife (i.e. one blade, one liner, one simple liner lock, "plastic" handles, no bolsters, satin polish) all the while bemoaning the cost of American production. S&M is American made with an obvious amount of hand work for an excellent price.