Queen or Canal Street slim trapper

I'm thinking about getting a slim trapper and have narrowed it down to these two. Which would you choose? I know Queen uses there D2, which I have in a small pearl stockman. CSC seems to use a variety of steels, I'd prefer Latrobe 14-4. What about F & F and just overall build quality. This would be a knife for using, not just display. I also like that I can get the CSC in a lockback, but haven't decided yet. What are your thoughts or suggestions, thanks.

I personally would go with the Queen, mainly because of the steel. But their curly zebrawood and the older amber carved stag bone are both gorgeous handle materials, too. Ideally, find a brick and mortar knife store that you can look over both before making a decision.

I'd opt for the Queen. It's a bit longer than the CS and its spring is much more robust. If you like a light/soft pull, the CS is your knife. It's not mine.

Willgoy, blade length on both knives is identical at 3 3/8", even though the Queen handles are 1/4" longer. CS's 14-4CrMo steel is similar to 154CM/ATS-34, it's a tool steel that has much better stainless properties than D-2, yet has excellent edge retention.

Eric

Assuming you dont mind sharpening right when you get it, I'd go with Queen's D2 everytime.

I haven't gotten Queen's D2 to rust on me yet and I live in a humid environment. Use it, wipe it off. D2 is very low maintenance in my experience. It also holds its edge really well and a light stropping brings it back when it starts to dull.

ea42, I thought the blade on the CSC was only 3", good to know they are both the same.

Eric, I checked my Queen WCSB Utility against the CS Moon Pie and I find the Queen blade to be 8.5cm / 3&3 eigths" whereas the CS is 8cm. The CS is a broader blade but its length and cutting edge is shorter than the Queen. I agree with you about the CS having better blade steel, I'm cagey about Queen's D2 it can arrive so blunt&hard to work on.

Another option for the OP is GEC's single blade 48 in their 440C stainless, jigged bone or American Cherry handle options.

Regards, Will

If D2 is your poison of choice, the Canal Pinch lockback single blade trapper uses this steel as well, you aren't stuck with just Queeen.

Dang Will you must have a short blade there, I've got a CS halfmoon here that measures just a hair under 3 3/8" from the shoulder to the tip. The Pinch (lockback) D2 blade is a bit shorter than the single blade slippy, measuring 3" long shoulder to tip. Gotta say that zebrawood's pretty cool looking stuff.

Eric

I have both and prefer the Canal

The Canal is very slim with a broader blade and holds a very sharp edge
Easier to sharpen and maintain

attachment.php

The Queen Slimline trapper has a very narrow blade with a very narrow bolster
It seems less robust than the Canal

attachment.php

The Pinch is on my list.....

Have any of you guys tried any of the CSC trappers with 440C, and if so how do you like it?

I prefer the CSC Half Moon to the Queen Utility. I like the handle better and that it is slightly smaller. My favorite of the CSCs is my Smooth Sunset bone as it has best pull of my bunch at about a 4. All the Queens are about a 5 and smooth too but just a hair too skinny. The Queens I've received didn't have the best grinds but were all useably sharp. The CSCs were all razor sharp.

Have any of you guys tried any of the CSC trappers with 440C, and if so how do you like it?
The Full Moon trappers are 4 1/8" closed, not 3 3/4" closed like the Half Moons. It felt bigger and blockier. I prefer the GEC #48 full trappers, which now also come in 440c, to the CSC. I carried the CSC for a day or 2 the put it back in the box.

The CS is tough. Mine fell out of my pocket between 75 and 80 feet up. It hit two steel beams and bounced off at least 3 stainless risers Before landing on concrete. Only serious problem was broken scales. Waiting on it's return from Canal Street with new scales.

Back