Question 1987 Buck 110FG

Makael

Loving wife, kids and life.
Gold Member
Guys, I bought a knife collection. A couple years ago. Mostly Remington. But these two 1987 Buck 110FG were in that collection. I cant find reason why he bought two of these. I do see a dot to the left of the 110> stamp. Otherwise run of the mill FG 110s?20210511_210216.jpg20210511_210241.jpg20210511_210309.jpg20210511_210331.jpg20210511_210410.jpg

Well, they have 425MOD steel which is a plus to me. Maybe the fellow just liked the Finger Grooves as it was still pretty new option at the time. They do look good and everyone who likes the 110 eventually ends up with a number of examples. OH

Guys, I bought a knife collection. A couple years ago. Mostly Remington. But these two 1987 Buck 110FG were in that collection. I cant find reason why he bought two of these. I do see a dot to the left of the 110> stamp. Otherwise run of the mill FG 110s?View attachment 1562411View attachment 1562412View attachment 1562413View attachment 1562414View attachment 1562415

I have acquired two of the same knife in the past because I really liked it and no other reason!

Once in a while the 110s and 112s have odd dots by the model stamp.

Nobody seems to have a definitive answer as to why it happens, but since they are unusual, people collect them.

It may, at least in some cases, add to the value due to the oddity and the mystery.

That's why he had two.

Lots of people have several.

Here's a thread that helps.

Last edited:
Once in a while the 110s and 112s have odd dots by the model stamp.
Nobody seems to have a definitive answer as to why it happens, but since they are unusual, people collect them.
It may, at least in some cases, add to the value due to the oddity and the mystery.
With the passage of time information has improved.
Dots are best thought of as "Engineering Change Codes"
They have different meanings on different models.
They can become a defacto date code if the change and when it happened are known.
In the case of the 110, (current thinking as I understand it)
2 dots - change in the geometry of the blade lock
3 dots - change in the rocker
4 dots - change of the blade steel to 425M
It is necessary in a manufacturing environment to identify variations that require specific matching of parts.
And yes, there are still a few oddball headscratchers.

With the passage of time information has improved.
Dots are best thought of as "Engineering Change Codes"
They have different meanings on different models.
They can become a defacto date code if the change and when it happened are known.
In the case of the 110, (current thinking as I understand it)
2 dots - change in the geometry of the blade lock
3 dots - change in the rocker
4 dots - change of the blade steel to 425M
It is necessary in a manufacturing environment to identify variations that require specific matching of parts.
And yes, there are still a few oddball headscratchers.
You lost me.

Are you talking about the normal two, three and four dot knives?

I was talking about the ODD ones.......knives where extra and mysterious dots have been added.

As in the thread I linked.

Don't confuse me any more.

:D

He is talking about the ones with date codes not the dot versions or pre 1986. It seems there’s a thread that was about these but I can’t find it as I don’t know the title of the thread.

He is talking about the ones with date codes not the dot versions or pre 1986. It seems there’s a thread that was about these but I can’t find it as I don’t know the title of the thread.

Oh................OH, now I get it. 😖 Not entirely. Seems like if it were a mid year change we'd see A LOT more of the odd dots.

Ok, thanks. I hope somebody can find that thread.

Oh................OH, now I get it. 😖 Not entirely. Seems like if it were a mid year change we'd see A LOT more of the odd dots.

Ok, thanks. I hope somebody can find that thread.
Yes the two 110 in the beginning of this thread have a date code > to the right side of the model number = 1987 plus a dot to the left side. I don’t know, It could be a mid year change or a special run of blade steel or materials but surly they put the dot there for a reason.

Yes the two 110 in the beginning of this thread have a date code > to the right side of the model number = 1987 plus a dot to the left side. I don’t know, It could be a mid year change or a special run of blade steel or materials but surly they put the dot there for a reason.

It just seems to me that if DeSoto's info is correct.......we'd see a lot more of the odd dots.

Wouldn't we?

I don't think they are making a lot of engineering changes on the standard 110 anymore. I'm thinking they got all the bugs worked out decades ago.

That's just my guess.

O.B.
The ones I've seen seem to be mostly from the mid to late eighties.

But, if it were a change in the knife for that year, all the rest of the knives for that year would be stamped the same way--for months--and we'd see a LOT of them and we'd be better familiar with them.

I'd say they're probably still a mystery.

Found this at an yard sale a while back.

Maybe somebody knows what all these odd dots mean? Old woman selling had several knives but no info.

Probably just as much of a mystery to everybody here.

1621441933148.png

Back