Question about Buck family history

I have a question about Buck's family history. They do have a short write-up on their website (https://www.buckknives.com/about/history/), but it's somewhat vague and doesn't say a whole lot. We all know it was founded by Hoyt Buck. Then Al Buck took over, and then Chuck Buck, and currently it's run by CJ Buck. Does anyone know the exact years Al Buck and Chuck Buck were CEO? All it says on the website is that Chuck handed the reigns over to CJ in 1999. I'm curious because I recently purchased a Bicentennial Buck (1976) that came with a certificate signed by Alfred C. Buck. For some reason I thought Chuck Buck was in charge at that time, but I guess I was wrong.

He (Al)passed on April 3, 1991 on Sunday morning at his home from cancer.
Chuck took the helm as President in 1979. DM

Last edited:
is Josh is the next Buck in line to maybe take over down the road, if he wanted to of course and all that...or is there other Buck family members in line too.......

sorry for diversion, just got my curiosity up on it.

Revolverguy, if you want a great Book on Buck knives and the Buck family then find a book by Tom Ables. The book is called "The Story of Buck Knives - A Family Business".

Thanks guys. I know most people probably don't care but I am in process of labeling and inventoring all my Buck knives as well, and wanted to get an idea of a little background on the time period and who was in charge at the time.

jbmonkey, was Josh the family member responsible for the Gen5? I own one and love that knife. I wonder why he did not pursue putting out other designs?

Back