Question about custom knife dealers

This may be a sensitive issue, but I've never seen it discussed. I know that part of being a custom knife dealer involves customer trade-ins on stuff customers have previously bought (I think Les and a few other offer this) as well as just trading or buying pieces from collections. I have often noticed a subtle difference in the listing, for example it might be listed as "mint condition" or something. However, I have recently seen on a couple dealer sights knives that I know they did not get directly from the maker (because they were exclusives from another dealer) but aren't listed with any other way of knowing they were not "brand new." While these knives may be in mint condition, there is still the fact that they are pre-owned. This bothers me.

Anyone have thoughts? I'd be especially curious to hear from some of the dealers.

~Mitch

I have found myself wondering the same thing.

It would be nice to know if a knife was "new" or preowned.

One can always ask the dealer the question.......

If a dealer buys a knife from another dealer then it might be considered to have never entered the customer market and be "new". Dealers buy knives from distributors and not directly from the original maker on a regular basis in the production market.

James,

Good point, but I tend to think that most custom knifemakers don't have a distributor->retailer chain set-up. But if it went from the exclusive dealer to another dealer, I guess that could explain it. But I'm not totally ready to buy that ;)

~Mitch

All of those dealers out there are set up to make sure that naive college students send them their large allowance from their rich lawyer fathers!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :( :) :( :)

hey hey now Tom...don't get an allowance from my dad. My knife hobby is funded by hard earned scholarships. I have Mr. and Mrs. Gates, Mr. Fellows, and Boeing to thank for my knife collection ;) :eek: But that's a side track - I bet one of the dealers paid you off to side track me! :rolleyes:

~Mitch

Exclusives?

I know of a least a few custom models which more than one dealer has claimed as their very own dot com exclusive.

I used to think that was pretty special until I saw the exact same model popping up on other sites, some of which listed it as their exclusive, some didn't.

Maybe it's not that any of them are pre-owned, rather that they were not quite as exclusive as advertised.

You don't have to look very far to see this for yourself.

Firebat

In my observation Knives and Guns seem to be in a loosely similar cat when it comes to resale. Just because it has been pre-owned does not nessasarily cause either to lose value. As long as the item is in unused or mint condition it can fetch its original selling price or trade value. This is not a hard and fast rule but generally holds true when dealing in the custom market.

"Pre-owned"? First time I've ever heard that term used for a knife. (I mean, hey guys, it's not a car! ;) What's the difference how many people have owned it? What matters to me is the condition. I'd rather buy a knife from the person who made it, it provides a direct link and a personal relationship to the blade. Sometimes that's not possible, and dealers serve an important function. But if you're not buying it from the maker, what's the difference how many people owned it? :confused:

Mr Lum....who ever said I was talking about you? :confused:

As with most collectables.........as stated above........CONDITION IS EVERYTHING!

A well used Winchester 62 is worth about one tenth of a completley mint still in the box one; but my question is........why have it if you arent going to use it????????? :confused: :rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

yeah tom, you're right...you probably weren't referring to me ;) Oh well, at least I've publicly thanked the Gates', Mr. Fellows and Boeing for funding the hobby :)

Art, your point is well taken. Hell, I'm sure a Ken Onion knife in used condition could fetch more than the "new from Ken" price. My point, or question rather, is about knives that have gone through various hands before ending up on dealers site. It's not a question about condition or value, just simply the way that dealers represent a knife...but maybe my question is begining to be answered - seems that maybe it's just irrelevant.

Perhaps Mr. Robertson can write a mini-thesis on the issue ;)

~Mitch

Whats the difference???????Does it really matter how many times a knife is owned????Mint is mint.In coins,guns,cars,and anything else.

Dealers trade knives amongst themselves--they may need to make room for new inventory or find a particular knife for a customer. To assume that the knife in this situation is invariably "pre owned" would be a pretty narrow view of the situation. Of course, as others have said, if the condition is truly "mint" (a term that is very abused), then is "pre owned" really an issue?

Most purveyors have a return policy as well. A knife that is sold, handled, and then returned -- even if still "mint" -- well, I'd still expect that the purveyor would resell that knife as "new."

Hi Mitch,

First, mint is a term way over used and subjective to each person's definition.

Example, Tom Mayo takes a few folders to a show. They get handled for a couple of days. Technically this would no longer be New In Box (NIB). In fact some would consider these nothing more than floor samples that should be sold at a vastly reduced price. ;)

Perhasps two blades accidently hit each other, now they are dented and dinged. These knives should be reduced even more. ;);)

Are they, of course not. Are these knives truely mint, no.

Mitch you can't have it both ways. Those people who insist on knives that are truly NIB, then cannot expect to be able to go to shows and handle those knives. Taken to an extreme, it would get to the point where I could only let you handle the knife if you had pre-paid to do so.

Most dealers I know only deal in "mint" knives, that is to say unused. My trade in policy states that the knife must be in the same condition that I sold it to you in. Most collectors of custom knives have a few EDC's and the other knives in their collection, sit in a safe or on display somewhere. As such, the knives are in "mint" condition and are pre-owned.

Additionally, most dealers I know will tell you the history of the knife, to the best of their knowledge.

An interesting point here is that most of the most sought after and high dollar knives that you find for sale are pre-owned. Loveless, Herron, Scagel, Moran, Walker, Lake, Horn, etc. are pre-owned. The fact that they are pre-owned has no negative effect on the price of the knife.

Think about other collectible markets, like Antiques, Art, Cars, Coins, Stamps, etc. Almost every one of these at the top of their category are pre-owned. In the case of the cars, most have been driven!

Returning back to custom knives. Most knives that are over say $600 are never used, these more often than not find their way into collections. This is not to say that on occasion someone will not slip a hard to get knife into their pocket to show those who appreciate it. Also, their are people who bought the knife to use....and use it they do. Not to many mint condition Scagel's out there. Some are in down right horrible condition. Of course these barely bring over $10,000. :D

92 degrees, brought up a good point about return policies. The Consumer Protection Act allows you the buyer, 3 business days to reconsider any purchase that you did not get to personally inspect the item before purchase.

No matter who you buy it from, maker, dealer or another collector. You have the right to return the knife.

Some dealers will try and hit you with a re-stocking fee. Generally, this is equal to the amount of profit they are making on the item. This is illegal. You should report any one doing this to not only the Post Office (if your package was shipped through the mail), but the Attorney General's office of both your state and the shipper's state. Formal letters can be sent to the Better Business Bureau and local Chamber of Commerce as well. If they belong to the Knifemakers Guild or the ABS, letter's should be sent along to them as well.

Dealers do trade amongst themselves. This is done for any number of reasons. More time than not, it is done to rotate merchandise. As one of the few Custom Knife Dealers who has a web site and set's up at shows. I have a two-headed monster to feed. As such I am always on the look out for custom knives to buy, pre-owned or not.

I will tell you that I get well over 80% of my knives directly from the makers.

As for trading "exclusives" I don't know of this happening on a regular basis. Most custom knife dealers have only a hand full of "exclusives" say 5 or 6, it that many. Far and away I have been involved in more "exclusive" custom knives in the last 6 years than any custom knife dealer in the world.

Personally, I enjoy seeing my LDC and Vanguard knives on other dealers sites. This is not to say that the other does not happen. I have had one of Larry's KnifeArt exclusives, the Viper by Brian Tighe on my site. Also, one of Josh's Triple Aught Design exclusives the P-38 by Mike Vagnino (Im pretty sure it was an exclusive).

Because of an exclusives limited production, most dealers are not key to trade these away. This is not to say if the right deal comes along they won't.

Having been involved in bringing over 60 exclusive knives to market in the past 5 years. I can tell you it can be a costly, labor intensive and time consuming project. Im sure Larry and Jay and a few of the other dealers with exclusive knives would agree.

Generally, speaking when you see an "exclusive" knife on another dealers site, it was pre-owned.

Personally, I think with dealers at least, it is a presumtion that some of the knives on the table are pre-owned.

As with everything else in custom knives, the burden is ultimately on the collector to do their homework prior to the purchase. I realize that this will take away from the pure fun of buying any thing that catches your eye.

As this "mini-thesis" comes to a close, I would like to point out and I'm sure this will come as surprise to no one. That I rather enjoy the "hunt" and the education I learned each time I considered buying a knife. I found going this route really increased the amount of pleasure I gained from collecting knives. As I grew tired of having buyers remorse at the end of the show because I did not do my homework.

One last thing, you know Mitch if you bought a copy of my book it would help you out a lot! :)

There are some general rules used in the gun trade that I think would reasonably apply to knives. Dealers trade and sell to each other all the time, but unless the gun is sold outside dealer channels it remains New. Once it is sold to a non-dealer, it can no longer be considered or sold as New. It may remain Unfired, but still can not be sold as New. Most dealers can spot a fired gun, even if its been rigorously cleaned, but some are missed, so Unfired guns never command a New gun price. In knives I would assume there is a reasonable determination of Unused that would be comparable to Unfired. Virtually all guns get handled before they're sold. Careless customers might ding one then, but the gun is still New, even though a dealer might have to shave a few dollars off for a dented stock or scratched finish. I think most customers appreciate feeling a smooth action, whether it's on a fine gun or one of Tom's great knives. That's the only way they are certain the product is as excellent as the price suggests or the dealer claims.

Les,

Thanks for addressing my question. You once again clearly articulate your perspective. You've really cleared this up for me and have given me some things to think about.

Jerry,

I didn't know that was the way things were done with firearms, but it makes a lot of sense to me. :)

Thanks,
Mitch

Something else comes to my mind on this same note.

IF a dealer gets a knife in a trade or outright purchase from a 'collector' [ie individual] that has been a collection piece or very slightly used [but not enough to actually notice] is/should the dealer identify that fact upfront [ie without being asked by prospective buyer]?

And thanks for your mini-thesis Les, I found it very informative.

Les, thanks for the thesis. If only other people would of bought the book. Now why wasn't mine autographed;) :D

Very interesting thread - 10x Les and Jerry for your opinions on this

BTTT for all to see

Back