Question about Emerson Black Blades, how do they ware.

Think title say it all, as being a south paw the only Emerson in true lefty are CQC-7, or the Commander. Sevens only come Black.

In my experience with my Black bladed horseman it wore kind of quick near the tip. The blade was pretty much unused but came out looking like this when I was done.

This goes to say i wasnt using the knife as intended. I was using it to loosen some dirt and make a hold around 8 inches deep. Had to get some dirt simples and it was the only thing I had on me to loosen the hard cold soil.

It's a decent coating, but its going to show wear depending on what your use is. The stonewash finish is going to hide wear better.

It's Cerakote, so it's somewhat durable but nothing like DLC or Ti. It's made to wear, and looks great when it does.

My mini commander came with some of the coating already coming off, I think mine was just a rare occurrence though.

I found the Emerson coating wears off rather quickly, but nowhere near as fast as the cr@p that Cold Steel uses on the blade of the Recon 1............

~John

Where is the guy with the CQC 15 that looks ooooooh so good with its worn finish. Ill try to find the picture to rehost for you man.

EDIT: found them!

Yeah, Clem's 15 does look great. I've got a Benchmade 710 with a similar look, and frankly I love it.

I love the way they look after a few years of use. It's like your favorite pair of jeans.

Here's how my 1999 looks:

proxy.jpg

It's Cerakote, so it's somewhat durable but nothing like DLC or Ti. It's made to wear, and looks great when it does.

When did they use Cerakote? I always thought they used black teflon in the past (hence the BT suffix in model numbers).

When did they use Cerakote? I always thought they used black teflon in the past (hence the BT suffix in model numbers).
Its a cheap, reliable, predictable coating that more than likely Ernie has the hook up on. All together it is a great coating that when it wears away you can just get another cerakote applicator to re do it.

Something I've never seen mentioned in here before. When the cerakote gets to the point that one may either want to get it reapplied (does EK do it and for how much) or by hand take the rest of it off.

Has anyone in here seen what an Emerson blade looks like when the coating is 100% gone? I'm sure if you take care of your knives that rust shouldn't become a concern. I took that cheap Teflon crap of my CS Recon1 and it looks better IMO than if the black coating was just applied. I know I'm going to have that decision to make eventually and if I'm told that there really isn't any valid reason to "have to" reapply cerakote then I won't.

The good thing about cerakote is that it is inexpensive to have done. The manufacturer may not do it, but there are a lot of people who do. You can find them online and most likely any local gun store that does custom work.

Something I've never seen mentioned in here before. When the cerakote gets to the point that one may either want to get it reapplied (does EK do it and for how much) or by hand take the rest of it off.

Has anyone in here seen what an Emerson blade looks like when the coating is 100% gone? I'm sure if you take care of your knives that rust shouldn't become a concern. I took that cheap Teflon crap of my CS Recon1 and it looks better IMO than if the black coating was just applied. I know I'm going to have that decision to make eventually and if I'm told that there really isn't any valid reason to "have to" reapply cerakote then I won't.

Emerson knives also come in uncoated or satin versions, and they do not typically rust if reasonably cared for. Your knife should be okay, its just exposed 154CM like a satin finish.

Back