question about finishes being damaged

Hello, I'm a new collector and thinking about buying some special edition SOG (tiger stripe & satin) knives and have read some threads about blueing becoming damaged from acidic contact, either from entrails or friut. Is this possible? Thanks in advance.

Since bluing is a form of "rust" I would think many different types of fluid would cause problems. My hunting knife is not "blued" and if you are hunting you really should learn how to clean and gut the animal without cutting into the stomach-intestinal tract.

I use a product called Breakfree CLP and usually wipe my knives down with it after serious use.

I have heard that if you have an old tool steel knife that you can get a nice patina blued effect on it by sticking it in a potatoe and leaving it for a couple of days. There is something about the potatoe starch and acids in the potatoe that give it a nice look. I haven't tried it.

The stripe will fade and get scratched over time.
There is no coating known to man that will not.
You can delay the process with careful cleaning, but it will happen.
Dirk

thanks for the info. It's been years since I've hunted, but I think I still remember how to clean the critters. I was curious about the durability of some coated blades based on various things I'd read and being new to knife collecting was uneducated.

Back