Question about flag disposal

For several months now I have been quietly hacked off at the landlords of the office building I work in because they allowed the American flag flying outside the office to become badly faded and tattered. It was so bad that several of the white and red stripes had become detached, and were caught on the branches of a nearby evergreen tree. It really seemed utterly disrespectful and inappropriate to let the flag continue to decay like that.

Today I did something about it... I went to harbor freight and bought the best flag they offered and took down the tattered remnants of the old flag (after tearing it further to detach it from the tree it was tangled with). Not knowing what to do with the old flag, I simply set it aside in my truck, then ran up the new flag.

Then it occurred to me that I had to find a respectful way to dispose of the old flag. The most common way is burning the old flag, but I don't have a convenient means of doing that. I definitely don't want to just put it in a trash can... so what other respectful means of disposing of a flag are acceptable?

contact a local American Legion, VFW or any Veterans organization.
In my area the Boy Scouts does flag disposal.

Thanks For caring.

Semper Fidelus
Mike

contact a local American Legion, VFW or any Veterans organization.
In my area the Boy Scouts does flag disposal.

Thanks For caring.

Semper Fidelus
Mike

This is the easiest way. Many American Legions and VFWs have drop boxes specifically for flags that need properly disposed of.

When I was in boy scouts we did this. The scout master told us to look out for flags that needed to be retired and every so often we would have a ceremony to burn them.

In have seen VFW ceremonies where hundreds of flags have been properly and respectfully burned. There was a piper at one.

The Proper way to dispose of a badly worn/tattered Flag is to

PRIVATELY seperate the field from the stripes,then burn each

part seperately and PRIVATELY.

Back