Question about lanyards

I have short lanyards/fobs on every pocket knife that sees regular carry with me to make it easier to snag and draw. The same goes for the short fixed blade knives I tend to carry. Every fixed blade belt knife has a lanyard as long as the knife itself, and designed to slip over the wrist for retention.

I've never used a lanyard as anything decorative, mine are purely functional. I have them on all of my larger fixed blades (if it chops, it has a lanyard). I also have a sak farmer with a lanyard, so I can pull it out of my pocket a bit easier.

No beads, especially ones with skulls for me at least :p.

Some time back I drilled two holes up through the handle top, 180 apart, up through the pommel steel of my Camillus USMC. I did a paracord wrap of the handle from the bottom and brought the pigtails of each end of the 550 cord up through the handle and ran them through a bead to form a slip lanyard for the wrist or thumb. This difference, lanyard exiting through the top of the handle vs.lanyard through a hole down IN the handle, made an amazing difference in handling and leverage when using the knife.

It hangs better and more safely from the wrist while taking a break in chores. Also the leverage it adds for chopping, being able to come all the way back on the handle but still be secure in the lanyard, turns the USMC into a solid chopper and bushwhacker.

I call short lanyards 'toggles', and they're handy for pulling a knife from a tight sheath. The Ashley Book of Knots has lots of cool examples.

Anybody ever been up on a ladder and need their knife? It's a lot easier feeling for a lanyard than to fiddle with a pocket clip. That's why I use them. I work as a General Contractor so YMMV.

Last edited:
Ive said it before but here's my 2 cents, fobs for deep carry folders and lanyards for machetes.

I have a fob on the knife that I use at work. It assists me in getting the knife out of my pocket which can be difficult when I am wearing gloves. The gloves that I wear have a tendency of catching on the denim. So for me, the fob is a necessity. In street clothes I dont dont usually have a fob attached because it just acts as another advertisement that I am carrying a knife. There is one exception to this though; I have a fob on my great eastern bull nose. the fob hangs out of the pocket and the knife rides nestled into the side of my pocket towards the top. This helps it to keep it at the top of the pocket and prevents it from settling into a horizontal position at the bottom of the pocket.

Aside from making a knife more easy to fish out of a pocket, a lanyard can help hold a knife upright in a pocket. I find this more comfortable.

I've used a nut (like for a bolt) on a keychain to do this at work.:)

I put one on a PM2. A very short one. So far it seems to get in the way more than anything. Looks nice. I'd call it an aesthetic fad.

I don't use clips so most of my folders have some kind of fob on them.

For me, they're used for identification. The glow-fob on my Leek works well enough in the dark.

L0120870-1.jpg

I put a Reeve coil on my Boker Kwaiken just for the fun of it. I'd never played with paracord before. Orange G-10 scales and OD coil. Looks like a 70's survival parka!

Man has been fascinated by skulls since the beginning of time.
image_zps00e50881.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Since my tribe hasn't been putting our relatives and enemies skulls taken in battle up on the mantle for the past few hundred years my fascination has passed.;)

Enjoy!

The lanyards I put on my knives unraveled are about 3 or so feet in length, basically serves as extra cordage if i'm out and about and need some. So basically for me its a cool way to keep some extra paracord for when I need it.

If a lanyard is useful to grasp the knife and also decorative... what else? Best of both worlds!
And make it you own!
Minigrip_purple_01_zps0da317df.jpg

I find it easier to draw my knives with 2-3" snake knots, with a diamond knot at the end.
I just run my pinky up till it catches the diamond and I'm in perfect position to flip,. May throw in a bead for aesthetics, but their not good for much more than scratching the scales.

Back