question about material used in OKC 08980

I've been trying to locate some stock to fabricate a replacement spring for what can be called a MIL-K818 slip joint knife. I believe that Ontario was the last company to supply these knives for Government contract in the last few years and that these knives are now an item of the past.
From my research it looks like the material used for the springs was 410 HC stainless steel. While I've had some luck locating some stock of this material, I've been trying to locate it in the proper thickness which appears to have been 13 gauge or approximately 0.09xx inches thick.
I'm wondering if anyone at Ontario could confirm for me that 410 is the SS that they used for the springs in their SKU # 08980 knife, or if there is in fact another type that will work for this task.
Also if anyone reading this knows where I might find sheet stock of annealed 410 stainless steel in 13 gauge I'd love to hear from you. thanks.

Hi sac troop,

Sorry for the late response. I'm on the road enough that sometimes my Bladeforums duties get pushed back.

To answer your question: Yes 410/ 410HC or 420 is the appropriate steel. Make sure there is sufficient carbon to provide the proper hardness. (You are shooting for a final as-tempered hardness of 48-52HRc) You can use other Martensitic stainless steels but if the Carbon levels are too high, tempering down to the proper spring hardness can get tricky. Off the top of my head; 0.093" is the proper thickness.
These knives were made at Queen when they were part of the Servotronics group with Ontario. However, Queen has been sold. You might try them as they may have some springs lying around.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Director of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Back