Question about Microtech DLC

No one is going to chastise you over asking a question about a topic not talked about for a decade. New information comes to light and new products offer tweaks on older materials used.

If you were really interested in knowing a particular answer but wanted to cover all your bases about some sort of eggshell etiquette you're worrying about, a good way to do so would be to start a new thread, ask your question, and then reference this thread stating that their is a link in it that no longer works and you were just wanting to know XYZ.

People ask the same questions all the time. It really only gets annoying when the same question is brought up while a thread is still hovering on the first page is dealing with the exact same topic.

So, I'm sorry if you feel you need to dance around this, but I can tell you for a fact that when I have a question about a MT, The Aflac Duck The Aflac Duck I member whom I listen to very closely.

You got all the important info on the DLC - it’s 75hrc, appearance depends on the surface it’s applied to it and the marks on it are usually just material from what you’re cutting. DLC is easily maintained and prevents rust to some extend, it’s a good stuff if you like the color, usually gray. I personally can confirm all this because I have few knives with this coating and they are users, hardly any marks from cutting cardboard boxes, plastic ties and insulation.
If you don’t think you don’t need it, don’t buy the knife in question.
Knowledge bomb, thank you. Especially with the comment about coatings users

No one is going to chastise you over asking a question about a topic not talked about for a decade. New information comes to light and new products offer tweaks on older materials used.

If you were really interested in knowing a particular answer but wanted to cover all your bases about some sort of eggshell etiquette you're worrying about, a good way to do so would be to start a new thread, ask your question, and then reference this thread stating that their is a link in it that no longer works and you were just wanting to know XYZ.

People ask the same questions all the time. It really only gets annoying when the same question is brought up while a thread is still hovering on the first page is dealing with the exact same topic.

So, I'm sorry if you feel you need to dance around this, but I can tell you for a fact that when I have a question about a MT, The Aflac Duck The Aflac Duck I member whom I listen to very closely.
I searched and this is where it led me to. I’m not going to let some princess of a fiefdom talk down to me. Been in forums for over 20 years, there always is one of them. That person was it.

I searched and this is where it led me to. I’m not going to let some princess of a fiefdom talk down to me. Been in forums for over 20 years, there always is one of them. That person was it.
Well I have been on these forums for just shy of 20 years. Might make me a tad bit of newbie compared to you. I yield to your rugged and intimidating prowess of e-chest puffery.

That said, I didn't ask you to search. I recommend you ask whatever you are looking to find out and let us actually help you. Instead, you are too busy being butthurt playing Illinois politics because someone called you out for digging up a 10 year old thread without even asking a question.

Tilt against whatever windmill you want. That's on you, boo. Just trying to help.

Microtech coating is not really a true particle fused coating in my experience. I have a dual finish from 2018 that is pretty weak as far as coating goes. I use and sharpen this knife regularly, and the coating wear is pretty evident. I'll grab some pictures.

Microtech coating is not really a true particle fused coating in my experience. I have a dual finish from 2018 that is pretty weak as far as coating goes. I use and sharpen this knife regularly, and the coating wear is pretty evident. I'll grab some pictures.
Thank you. It’s hard to see photos of long term edc use. There is a great thread here on the CRK section that shows it. It’s a gem. I’m asking because I finally found a scarab that is my ‘grail’ and I’m not sure if I should use it or stare at it.

Thank you. It’s hard to see photos of long term edc use. There is a great thread here on the CRK section that shows it. It’s a gem. I’m asking because I finally found a scarab that is my ‘grail’ and I’m not sure if I should use it or stare at it.
20211031_195023.jpg

20211031_195027.jpg

20211031_195031.jpg

To further clarify, I bought it the week they dropped, so I have been using and sharpening it for 3 going on 4 years. The coating is decent, but compared to the PVD on my Medford Praetorian, it's pretty weak. To be be fair, that knife was also over twice the price of my Socom.

To further clarify, I bought it the week they dropped, so I have been using and sharpening it for 3 going on 4 years. The coating is decent, but compared to the PVD on my Medford Praetorian, it's pretty weak. To be be fair, that knife was also over twice the price of my Socom.
4 years of use, I’m ok with it. That looks just fine or something I can live with, as blades are supposed to be used.

As far as I know, Microtech is using DLC only on few models, everything else is Ceracote.
The models with DLC should have the type of coating in the description.
Your Socom appears to me to have Ceracote but l could be wrong, l just never seen such wear on DLC

As far as I know, Microtech is using DLC only on few models, everything else is Ceracote.
The models with DLC should have the type of coating in the description.
Your Socom appears to me to have Ceracote but l could be wrong, l just never seen such wear on DLC
I think my knife is Ceracoat. It wears like a coating, rather than a particle fusion type finish.

Ceracote is spray on. From what I've seen, Microtech does excellent job with it and it's very durable for, basically, paint.
DLC is if not mistaking, particle coating, the knives I got with it are seen some use but the coating is absolutely great,
very easy to maintain and very hard.
First knifes that I used and I can thing about are the two Kershaws, Ferrite and Shield.
Ferrite is coated completely, the Shield have only the handle coated. Both light users, no traces of use on the coating.

3ftIHZ.jpg

Back