Question about Seki-made SOGs

I have a Scuba/Demo knife. Don't know how old, but it has the old rectangular logo and not the bullet split or the large capital SOG-logo. I don't know how many people might have owned it. But it has been used a little bit as far as i can tell,
but in extremely nice condition. Only thing that I find weird are the white washers on the handle. The Scuba Demo has five white washers which go smooth with the leather washers(like any SOG knife with stacked leather washers). On my knife, the white washer nearest the frontguard is smooth and SOG-normal, but the four last ones are actually grooves like the Ka-Bar knife has, only smaller. Although it provides very good grip, I have never seen any pictures of the old Scuba Demo having grooved, white washers.

Can this be a fault from production or something? Or might it be a counterfeit knife? There are nothing else which dictates that this can be a fake Scuba Demo. It has all the other features like brass guard and pommel, 100% flushed spanner nut, incredible fit and finish. The pommel has some small dings and the leather might have been soaked a couple of times by another owner. The leather does not look warped or shrunken though.

So when SOG made their knives in Seki, was counterfeits a problem, especially among the S1, Recon Bowie, Scuba Demo etc.(leatherhandles)? Anyone have an opinion?

Back