Question About SOG Seal Pup I Bought From Walmart

Hey guys, yesterday i purchased a SOG seal pup from my local walmart. This was totally an impulse buy since they are selling them for only 50 bucks. Anyway, after buying this knife i did some research on it since i never really paid the seal pup much attention as i mostly buy folding knives that there is a newer version called the seal pup elite. To make a long story short i took some measurements of my knife and the blade is 4.85 and the overall length is 9.5 inches. Same demintions as the elite except there is no jimping on the spine of the blade. Is this a special version made for walmart? I`m at a loss here. If any of you have some input on this matter please feel free to share it with me. Thanks in advance.

They wont sell the Seal Pup Elite at any stores really accept maybe a knife shop. You can buy the Seal Pup Elite at amazon or a online knife store for about $10-$20 dollars more. And it is defenitly worth it for the price, weight and quality probaley will never break and if it does SOG has a great warranty and will replace it for you. It is a HUGE improvment from the SEAL PUP and you should defenitly get it in straight edge with nylon sheath probaley the best combination for the knive. Hope that helped you.

Hey guys, yesterday i purchased a SOG seal pup from my local walmart. This was totally an impulse buy since they are selling them for only 50 bucks. Anyway, after buying this knife i did some research on it since i never really paid the seal pup much attention as i mostly buy folding knives that there is a newer version called the seal pup elite. To make a long story short i took some measurements of my knife and the blade is 4.85 and the overall length is 9.5 inches. Same demintions as the elite except there is no jimping on the spine of the blade. Is this a special version made for walmart? I`m at a loss here. If any of you have some input on this matter please feel free to share it with me. Thanks in advance.

Not a special version for WALMART. Just following similar production specs as the original SEAL Pup. They have several versions floating around. Some with rasp some without. Serrations, tiger stripes, brushed steel, shiny TiNi and matte, etc. The one you have was made with a thinner stock for the blade. The ones with the rasp are about the same thickness as an SRK. Very stout but the hollow grind makes it a less efficient slicer.

I have both and also had the original PUP. Didn't care for that one. The choil was way too long for a blade of that size.

Here is the knife in question next to a sterile S1 Bowie:

IMG_0700.jpg

That lower knife is a Seal Pup Elite with a partly serrated edge and I'm guessing a gray epoxy powder coating. If you measure the two peaks along the spine, you'll notice that the front one (closest to tip) is wider then the one close to the guard. Also aside from coating it looks the same as the E37T Seal Pup Elite shown here: http://sogknives.com/store/E37T.html

Now check out the M37 Seal Pup: http://sogknives.com/store/M37.html The guard is different, butt is different, the blade is different. Again check out the ridges along the spine, the ones on the Seal pup are the same width (edge to spine).

The one you pictured which is a Seal Pup Elite is odd do to what looks like a Powder coating and wrong model name. Maybe it's a fake? Or maybe a glitch at SOG. If it's a glitch in manufacturing it could be more collectible or just means that it's a better user. Maybe Chris can shed some light on the situation.

Here is the knife in question next to a sterile S1 Bowie:

IMG_0700.jpg

"The one you pictured which is a Seal Pup Elite is odd do to what looks like a Powder coating and wrong model name. Maybe it's a fake? Or maybe a glitch at SOG. If it's a glitch in manufacturing it could be more collectible or just means that it's a better user. Maybe Chris can shed some light on the situation."

I wish it was that exciting. Its just a plain old SEAL Pup with the Elite handle and blade design. They are made in Taiwan in the same factory as the other styles. Its right in the middle between the older Pup and the newer Elite. No jimping on top of the blade, thinner blade width and powder coating. The packaging said SEAL Pup but its a hybrid between the two. If you Google it there are many pictures out there of the same knife.

"The one you pictured which is a Seal Pup Elite is odd do to what looks like a Powder coating and wrong model name. Maybe it's a fake? Or maybe a glitch at SOG. If it's a glitch in manufacturing it could be more collectible or just means that it's a better user. Maybe Chris can shed some light on the situation."

I wish it was that exciting. Its just a plain old SEAL Pup with the Elite handle and blade design. They are made in Taiwan in the same factory as the other styles. Its right in the middle between the older Pup and the newer Elite. No jimping on top of the blade, thinner blade width and powder coating. The packaging said SEAL Pup but its a hybrid between the two. If you Google it there are many pictures out there of the same knife.

Thats really interesting. Sounds like a Camillus Stockman I have. It has the handle of their Premium stockman, but the scalloped (serrated) sheeps foot blade from the cartridge series. A hybrid of two knives sharing the name of one of it's parents. Wow!!

I think that there may be some confusion on the SEAL Pup and SEAL Pup Elite and the evolution of the blades.

About 2 years ago we updated the SEAL Pup to have the same handle and blade design as the SEAL Pup Elite, just with a slightly thinner stock and without the rasping on the top of the blade being the differentiating factors. So with a quick glance the knives look the same. This changed the design and shape some from the older versions which had a slightly different coating and had more room between the cross guard and sharpened edge of the knife. Also the SOG logo was stamped in the blade and is now laser engraved. The ones pictured on the SOG website are the older versions of the SEAL Pup knives. Guess we missed updating those images, time to get the web elves working overtime to update them.

The knives discussed and pictured in the thread above are legit and correct SOG knives. Just seems to be a case where we missed some updates to the SOG website. The images are being corrected this week.

Thanks everyone for the replies. A question for chris: Does my seal pup have AUS6 0r AUS8 steel ?

It is AUS8, we transitioned all of the SEAL Pup series knives to AUS8 about 2 years ago as well.

I must ask since I dont know much about Sog. What makes you guys like the Elite better than the regular? Seen these knives at Walmart also and considering trying one out.

I must ask since I dont know much about Sog. What makes you guys like the Elite better than the regular? Seen these knives at Walmart also and considering trying one out.

For me the handle being a little bigger I find the Elite fits me better.

Back