Question about Stretch II

AJ

I just got a Stretch II for my birthday. It is a large, brute of a knife. Very, very solid. Mine came razor sharp. Fits my hand perfectly. A knife that begs to be used, and used hard. One question, though...how do you remove the screws on the clip so that it can be repositioned? I prefer to carry tip-down. :cool:

Many thanks!

AJ

You've been a member since 1998... You ought to know about torx screws by now!

Probably a U of M Grad! :p

Guilty as charged! :eek: First time I've had to change the position of a clip. My Navigator II came tip-down.

Thanks for the info, folks! Much appreciated. Off to get a set of Torx drivers to keep handy.

AJ

I like the ones from Home Depot. Husky brand. There are 4 double sided bits. 3 store in the handle and one in the chuck.

Another long time member here who likewise hasn't had to reposition a clip, so I'll likewise plead guilty right off the bat.

So, my rookie question is: what is the difference between a torx screw/driver and a hex screw/driver?

Thanks.

Andrew

Shape. The allan wrench has a hexagonal shape while the torque looks kinda star shaped.

Another long time member here who likewise hasn't had to reposition a clip, so I'll likewise plead guilty right off the bat.

So, my rookie question is: what is the difference between a torx screw/driver and a hex screw/driver?

Thanks.

Andrew

Shape. The allan wrench has a hexagonal shape while the torque looks kinda star shaped.

This.

Do not confuse hex (allen) wrench with a TORX driver. It will ruin the screw head and you won't be able to remove it.

Thanks, gents. Are all Spydie screws of the torx type? Same size or different?

I appreciate your help.

Andrew

I like the ones from Home Depot. Husky brand. There are 4 double sided bits. 3 store in the handle and one in the chuck.

Thats a popular one, and what I use. Not spendy, compact, good stuff. The opposite end of the T-6 bit fits the pivot, too, as I recall, so you just flip it.

I picked up a set of the Husky Torx drivers this afternoon and easily repositioned the clip. Now the Stretch II is the perfect large EDC for me. What a knife! If you haven't had the pleasure, you owe it to yourself to get one. Great knife!

AJ

Thanks again, guys. I'll pick one up.

Hi there, powernoodle. We used to talk on occasion over on CPF---I have the screen name AFAustin over there.

Regards,

Andrew

Just in case

I don't think my stretch had any superglue holding in the screws - but I have stripped out torxes and allens in the past - so I always try to remember to do this when taking off clips etc.:

soak the screws in hot water for five mins and use an even pressure to ease the screw round - it'll save annoyance later

Hi there, powernoodle. We used to talk on occasion over on CPF---I have the screen name AFAustin over there.

Hey Andrew. After buying almost every light ever made, I had to come here and start buying every knife ever made. Guns came before lights. Not sure where I will end up next.

I still hit CPF a couple of times a week. Not the 60 times a day as in the past. :)

The are different. So you might as well get the multiple tip set.

I know what a torx screw is. I know what the bits are. But my question is do some manufactuers have a propriatary shape of "torx" screws, or propriatary sizes?

Regards,
Daniel

The only one i know of is leatherman who uses a 5 sided torx screw, or the security version with a peg in the middle

You've been a member since 1998, I'm sure you know the unwritten rule about 'pics or it didn't happen'. So, where are the pics ? :D

Congrats on your stretch. She is indeed a great knife and she wants to cut something. So, give your new stretch something to cut, and she'll be happy.

Back