Question about "tactical hawks"

Seemed like a good idea at the time. Since someone ran a Bearcat through another section my peephole seemed inconsequential.:cool:

I'm trying to figure out how CRKT managed it on a $100 hawk. Probably something about volume of sales is my guess. :thumbup:

Volume, not made in USA, the handle scales are not micarta or G-10, and my Kangee does not have a tapered tang. If it's tapered, it's such a small amount that I can't see it. Honestly, it's out in the car and I don't feel like going to get it and finding the micrometer. When held next to my Winkler, the Kangee does not look tapered at all. You don't need a micrometer to see the tapered tang of a Winkler hawk, nor a scale to feel how it shifts the weight more forward.

Even still, the CRKT hawks are great, especially for the price. The handles are a bit thicker than the other tactical hawks that I've held. Although, that little bit of pommel can transfer some shock into your hand, a bit painful if you don't choke up a bit.

Volume, not made in USA, the handle scales are not micarta or G-10, and my Kangee does not have a tapered tang. If it's tapered, it's such a small amount that I can't see it. Honestly, it's out in the car and I don't feel like going to get it and finding the micrometer. When held next to my Winkler, the Kangee does not look tapered at all. You don't need a micrometer to see the tapered tang of a Winkler hawk, nor a scale to feel how it shifts the weight more forward.

Even still, the CRKT hawks are great, especially for the price. The handles are a bit thicker than the other tactical hawks that I've held. Although, that little bit of pommel can transfer some shock into your hand, a bit painful if you don't choke up a bit.

That's strange. I'm not doubting you, but there's a fairly large distributor on the net I was reading awhile back who sells the CRKT hawks (forget who they are) and they advertise them as being tapered and my own Kangee goes from 1/4 inch to 3/16 inch at the last few inches.

Not sure where the difference comes from. Maybe some other owners could measure theirs and we can see.

I actually just re-measured mine in the middle of typing this and at mid tang it's just a hair under 1/4 inch and at the bottom it's just under 3/16 inch. Even by "eyeballing" you can see it's tapered.

It's not as evident as a Winkler.......and by the amount of tapering on the Kangee, I don't know that it makes a difference in real world use but if for some reason mines not a fluke and they are indeed all tapered as my impressions were, it's certainly a nice touch.

Broke through my laziness, got my Kangee and micrometer together. I stand corrected, it has a tapered tang. My eyes are getting old, I'll be getting some reading glasses sooner than later.

Snakebreaker, I wonder how much weight it takes away from the handle? It can't be too much, any amount helps to put more weight forward.

I agree......it can't be too much weight it takes away because it's not a dramatic taper, but a taper none the less. Like you said, any amount will contribute to more weight forward. Definitely a nice touch for the price.

Broke through my laziness, got my Kangee and micrometer together. I stand corrected, it has a tapered tang. My eyes are getting old, I'll be getting some reading glasses sooner than later.

Snakebreaker, I wonder how much weight it takes away from the handle? It can't be too much, any amount helps to put more weight forward.

Well, good to hear that.
I wonder how far one can go with taper/cutting out the handle.

The Winkler hawks feel great, I don't think any more weight needs to be removed from his handles. Nor do they need to be lighter overall, too light and they loose impact. I have never seen how much of the tang is skeletonized, but the tang's taper is visible. They taper from 3/8" down to 1/8".

The Winkler hawks feel great, I don't think any more weight needs to be removed from his handles. Nor do they need to be lighter overall, too light and they loose impact. I have never seen how much of the tang is skeletonized, but the tang's taper is visible. They taper from 3/8" down to 1/8".

Ok, now, that is serious taper, and it is understandable why those hawks handle and works great.

Seemed like a good idea at the time. Since someone ran a Bearcat through another section my peephole seemed inconsequential.:cool:

Your peephole would be discrete by comparison... :thumbup::D

BTW; just got these three in:

IMAG0924_zps8776ed75.jpg

I'm really enjoying using the Kangee hawk; it's quite a nice piece for the price. The S&W is a heavy brute and is pretty decent too. :thumbup:

29xuev.jpg

Yep that Kangee sweet, I agree the SW a brute, great to have handy in a vehicle but kind big to hump

The pic is during a break while training (condemned building) (Drywall's really a pain to clean off the head)
Did use the spike to pry open boarded over doors to set up hide.

Thats camo tape on the handle-works great

29xuev.jpg

Yep that Kangee sweet, I agree the SW a brute, great to have handy in a vehicle but kind big to hump

The pic is during a break while training (condemned building) (Drywall's really a pain to clean off the head)
Did use the spike to pry open boarded over doors to set up hide.

Thats camo tape on the handle-works great

Now that's what I call renovating! ;) Drywall does have a knack for sticking to steel tools; not really sure why though lol!

I ended up hockey taping the entire handle on my kangee too after some use as I found my grip sliding a bit with bare hands. It's much nicer now as it has a lot of "grab" to it and it's definitely more comfortable.

Now I just need to get an RMJ tac hawk... :D

I put the tape on to "tone" down the black handle. It does make the grip better on this one also.

2e3yk1y.jpg

Copperhead kill-this past summer. (It bit my dog)

Back