1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Question about the Moran

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by the4th, May 5, 2000.

1. the4th

the4th

Mar 20, 1999
    Hey Sal and everyone at Spyderco!

I just got my first Moran. Cool little knife.

There has been some talk lately of the possibility of blade separation failures in a custom maker's knives. When I started playing with the Moran today I started wondering what type of tang it might have.

Short of cutting the handle off of mine, which I am tempted to do anyway and have a Micarta one added, can I find out how the handle and tang are attached?

Any pics?

Thanks in advance.

2. tulsamal

tulsamal

May 14, 1999
    There has been some talk of this before. You could try the search feature. As I remember, the tang is less than full length but it is "hooked" at the back. Sal has assured us again and again that that handle isn't going to come off! He bases that no only on the engineering but also on the extremely low number of them that come back for handle problems.

3. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    Tulsamal - thank you.

4th - taking the handle off is very difficult. You'll have to ruin the handle to do it. Personally, I defy any custom maker to make it stronger. Most of our knives are stronger and more reliable than customs in general. What custom makers offer than we cannot in the attention to detail, and custom features.

sal