Question about ZT056x lock bar.

Do these come carbidized from the factory? I seem to recall one of the Kai reps saying that they were, but I just got an extra Ti side in a trade that is brand new and it doesn't look carbidized to me. Just wondered. Also, if I got the lock bar carbidized on my own would that void the warranty?

It should be carbidized. Do you actually see grind lines or does the end of the lock bar look like its got metallic frosting on the end of it? Can you post a picture of it? I cant remember if they started the 0560 with a carbidized lock face or if they started doing it in response to sticky locks. Do you have a picture of it? Certain elements of the machining may tell when it was made as the frame had some minor changes since they started making the knives. I also dont believe all Ti lock sides will work with all the blades that were made.

It should be carbidized. Do you actually see grind lines or does the end of the lock bar look like its got metallic frosting on the end of it? Can you post a picture of it? I cant remember if they started the 0560 with a carbidized lock face or if they started doing it in response to sticky locks. Do you have a picture of it? Certain elements of the machining may tell when it was made as the frame had some minor changes since they started making the knives. I also dont believe all Ti lock sides will work with all the blades that were made.

The lock on my 561 is about 80-85%. It may stay that way forever, but I got this new one in trade and thought I might as well have it carbidized if it's not already. I've tried it on the knife and it seems to work OK. This is about the best pic I could get of the lock face (the new one). There is a tiny bit of wear on the corner that's from flipping the knife a few times just to check if it works. Lock up on my knife with this is about 45-50%. If carbidizing adds a little material It might be 40% which would be perfect.

IMG00064-20130811-1447.jpg

If you just got the frame in a trade it won't have a warranty anyway, might as well get it carbidized again if that'll float your boat.

most of them are carbidized at the factory, though they don't do the full lockface. They to half, you see the line down the middle of the lockface in your pic...they usually carbidize the side that engages the blade. Carbidizing does add just a bit of thickness...as it is laying down a super thin layer of tungsten carbide. Mine is set at 65-70hrc...just a bit more than most blades. This makes for a super smooth surface.

most of them are carbidized at the factory, though they don't do the full lockface. They to half, you see the line down the middle of the lockface in your pic...they usually carbidize the side that engages the blade. Carbidizing does add just a bit of thickness...as it is laying down a super thin layer of tungsten carbide. Mine is set at 65-70hrc...just a bit more than most blades. This makes for a super smooth surface.

Thanks, that makes sense. I'll probably have it carbidized to see what that does. I also have a CRKT Eros with a lockup of at least 100% and I've barely used it. I can't recall where it was when I got it but I've probably flipped it only around 100 times and I think 100% sounds a little suspect. I've sent a couple of queries to CRKT but haven't heard from them yet. Will give them a call tomorrow, but if it's a carbidization issue I may just send the CRKT along with the ZT scale. The CRKT blade is Acuto+, which I don't know much about other than that it's pretty hard and holds an edge well.

From our chat, I felt your tang might have been cut a wee bit short. It may or may not be under warranty but ZT does have a blade replacement service. Just a thought.

From our chat, I felt your tang might have been cut a wee bit short. It may or may not be under warranty but ZT does have a blade replacement service. Just a thought.

Well, do you mean the replacement for $10 thing? Since mine now has a big wave in it, it's probably not covered under that. I was just curious about why the lock bar would wear so fast that it went from 40% to about 80% in such a short time. But it may simply be part of the design. There are a number of Chris Reeve knives that do this but then never go beyond that 80% mark. So this may be the use-hardened stable point that was always intended. Anyway, thanks to you I can get the extra scale carbidized and in the mean time see if I can use up the current one. Soloknives doesn't think it will wear any further.

BTW, that Combative Edge looks a lot better vertically than horizontally for some reason. It sure isn't a competitor to ZT in the looks department. It feels nice in the hand though, and like I said looks really wicked sticking in a table top or something. (Not that I'd do that, mind you.)

My lockbar % on my 0561 is around 80-85% with normal opening and use, but if I'm doing a pressure cut on a branch it moves to 90-95%. Hoping mine doesn't get more worn than that, regardless warranty exists for a reason I guess. The lockup is always solid, I'm sure it's working as intended, but you're not alone with late lockup.

Well, do you mean the replacement for $10 thing? Since mine now has a big wave in it, it's probably not covered under that. I was just curious about why the lock bar would wear so fast that it went from 40% to about 80% in such a short time. But it may simply be part of the design. There are a number of Chris Reeve knives that do this but then never go beyond that 80% mark. So this may be the use-hardened stable point that was always intended. Anyway, thanks to you I can get the extra scale carbidized and in the mean time see if I can use up the current one. Soloknives doesn't think it will wear any further.

BTW, that Combative Edge looks a lot better vertically than horizontally for some reason. It sure isn't a competitor to ZT in the looks department. It feels nice in the hand though, and like I said looks really wicked sticking in a table top or something. (Not that I'd do that, mind you.)

Well, I'd still give them a call. If it's not covered under warranty from modification, then a replacement would be $30 in the ZT program ($10 in the Kershaw program).

Glad you like the M1. It won't match ZT's hard use toughness, as it's was designed mainly for self defense in mind anyways.

Mine is half carbidized like mentioned, and is an early example (0561-#0250).

If it's the half on the inside then that's probably more than enough, because that's about the only place it really wears. The tang wears too, of course, but not as much. I'm trying to get a feel for how many others have very late lockup. As mentioned above, I also have a CRKT Eros that came out of the box with 100% lockup. I just got an email back from CRKT that says they "don't understand my terminology." I just asked them if 100% or very late lockup was normal and whether or not they carbidized their Ti locks on the Eros. What isn't to understand? Anyway, I wrote back explaining it in greater detail. This isn't a CRKT forum so I won't belabor it. The 561 lockup is solid as heck, btw. Doesn't move a hair.

Well, I'd still give them a call. If it's not covered under warranty from modification, then a replacement would be $30 in the ZT program ($10 in the Kershaw program).

Glad you like the M1. It won't match ZT's hard use toughness, as it's was designed mainly for self defense in mind anyways.

Check out jdavis' edge retention test of the Fox N690Co steel versus Elmax on the 560. The CE is a much better cutter too, with the recurved edge. It's not nearly as handsome though, and probably not as rugged either. Elmax is very tough.

Check out jdavis' edge retention test of the Fox N690Co steel versus Elmax on the 560. The CE is a much better cutter too, with the recurved edge. It's not nearly as handsome though, and probably not as rugged either. Elmax is very tough.

I had a similar experience, but I sharpened through the factory edge and noticed a dramatic improvement in performance. Elmax adoption was still fairly early in the market when the 056X came out so I'm totally cool with that. I've had annealed edges from other brands as well.

Anyways that part of your collection I saw was pretty damn cool :thumbup:.

Back