Question...(educate me)

I just received my XM-18 on Monday. It's buttery smooth opening this thing, built like a tank and (surprisingly) very EDC'able despite its large size. I REALLY like this knife.
Now: When I received this knife I noticed that the pivot screw turned back and forth when opening and closing the knife. I've never had a knife that has done this, so I tightened it down to stop if from doing it. Problem is that when I do this, it's not buttery smooth any longer. I can still open it but I can't "flick it" open. I backed it off just enough to to where it can be flicked open. Problem is that when I get the pivot screw to its "sweet spot", a few more flicks and its back to turning again. My question is: do you guys accept the pivot screw moving/is it normal? or have any of you taken the screw out, put a dap of lock tight on it and screwed it back to its "sweet spot" again?

I had a couple of Kershaw assisted openers that the torsion bars broke. Of course Kershaw was more than happy to send me new ones. The thing I learned very quickly was when I reassmbled them I had to put lock tite on the pivot screw and put it at its sweet spot to get it to work correctly and Kershaw confirmed this. Is it the same with the XM-18?

Thanks for any help!

Hey Jason, blue lock tite on the pivot screw threads is totally fine. It should do the trick.

This has happened to me in the past. I didn't need lock tite though. It just took a couple seconds of tweaking the pivot screw to find that sweet spot where the screw is not to loose to back out on its own and its not to tight to hold the blade closed.

Try this. Take the pivot completely out. Pull the blade out. Put a dab of what ever lube you have available to you on the area where the washers sit on both sides of the blade then reassemble. Tighten the pivot so that there is no blade play and the blade is centered. Then work the blade in.

You should be fine. If you have any other questions. Feel free to PM me.

Hey Jason,

Take out the pivot screw and see if any loctite had oozed out onto the top pivot. You should be able to tell by just looking around the top of the pivot where it meets the scale.

Thanks guys for the info. I checked tonight and couldn't find any evidence of lock tite. I guess I'll run to walk mart tomorrow and see if they have some. I assume one drop should do the trick? Then just run it down to the sweet spot?

Jason
When you use the lock tite put it in the middle of the screw and run it in.
Thats a trick Rob taught me, I had the exact same problem you are having.
I also lube my washers with CRK grease, Works great.............:thumbup:

Jason
When you use the lock tite put it in the middle of the screw and run it in.
Thats a trick Rob taught me, I had the exact same problem you are having.
I also lube my washers with CRK grease, Works great.............:thumbup:

Thanks Rick. I think I'll just use the lock tite for know as the blade opens sooo smooth when the screw is set right. I think I'll leave the lube as a last resort. I really like this knife.
On another note: Has anyone ever pointed out that there allot of "Ricks" on a Rick Hinderer forum? Just an observation.

If it doesn't fix the problem, drop me a PM and we'll get it into the shop and give it a look.

If it doesn't fix the problem, drop me a PM and we'll get it into the shop and give it a look.

Thanks Rob..I'm sure it'll fix it. It looks pretty simple. Like I said, I've done it to a couple of Kershaw knives and never had any issues. Pictures coming shortly by the way of this knife in service on our border (as soon as I take'em).

Last edited:
Back