Question for Blade Show attendees. Previous and Current

Sharp & Fiery

Leatherworks, Kydex/Holstex/Boltaron, Mods -Canada
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hello all,

So...Im seriously considering making the 17-18 hr drive and attending Blade Show this year. I have three makers on my mind who will all be there this year.
I have missed the “early bird” tickets this year so my question is this...
Do most of the makers sell out of what is on their table during the first two hours of “early bird?”
Its a long drive to make if most of the blades will show up here on BF for sale at a premium a week after the show.
It would be cool to meet my favorite makers, but not being able to take home one of their products would be a bittersweet situation.
Thank you so much in advance for any information/advice.
Keep ‘em sharp!

Many makers will keep back knives so they have knives to sell each day. That said, if the specific knife you're looking for is highly desirable, highly collectible, or the "hot" item of the moment right now, well, sad to tell you but that knife has already been sold in either a bro-deal or else someone from one of the custom online "dealers"* will have already snapped it up before the show opens on Friday and you'll see it on their site at a 700% markup. Oh, you want to get it in a lottery? Sorry bud, a few of those "dealers" will be there with fifteen people who all have entered the lottery, some of them with multiple tickets. Odd, given that it's supposed to be a one-ticket-per-person situation.

Honestly, the best thing about BLADE is the friends you'll see there, and the handling of a great many knives you've never seen before.

*Not going to mention any names in order to keep this party polite.

Quiet Quiet
Thanks! Have you attended bladeshow before?

Many makers will keep back knives so they have knives to sell each day. That said, if the specific knife you're looking for is highly desirable, highly collectible, or the "hot" item of the moment right now, well, sad to tell you but that knife has already been sold in either a bro-deal or else someone from one of the custom online "dealers"* will have already snapped it up before the show opens on Friday and you'll see it on their site at a 700% markup. Oh, you want to get it in a lottery? Sorry bud, a few of those "dealers" will be there with fifteen people who all have entered the lottery, some of them with multiple tickets. Odd, given that it's supposed to be a one-ticket-per-person situation.

Honestly, the best thing about BLADE is the friends you'll see there, and the handling of a great many knives you've never seen before.

*Not going to mention any names in order to keep this party polite.

This^

And Lotteries? Hah, better have a fat wallet, my friend. I saw bids last year that exceeded $10,000 for some makers. But...

“handling of a great many knives you've never seen before.”

This is definitely a highlight of the show. But again, if it’s a really hot maker chances are you’ll just be looking at a picture of said knife that’s printed out in a laminated sheet and a little pen and paper next to it to place your bid for the knife that you can’t even handle first:poop:o_O

Bladeshow is great and there’s a lot of fun to be had there, but some aspects of it are like a circus act.

Unfortunately, my wallet is a skinny one. :/
Fits nicely into my pocket, but i would deal with the uncomfort of a fat wallet if i had a choice. Haha.

I was there about 10 years ago and it sounds like it was easier then to get desirable models. It's a good time, not sure I'd drive that long to go to it.

Quiet Quiet
Thanks! Have you attended bladeshow before?
A few times, yes. It's a great show, and always a good time. But then, I don't go with the intention of buying one of those specific knives like I was talking about. Also, for the record, this is pretty much most of the major knife shows now. Had a friend who attended last year's gathering who reported...well, pretty much what I describe above. (Shrug)

Unfortunately, my wallet is a skinny one. :/
Fits nicely into my pocket, but i would deal with the uncomforte of a fatty wallet if i had a choice. Haha.

You can still score some really nice knives, just don’t be expecting to walk out with like a Rexford Epicenter for “table price” or anything.

Quiet Quiet
Thats so unfortunate. Id love to meet some of the BF guys in person...and makers...but 18 hr drive...and crossing the border...sigh...

Quiet Quiet
Thats so unfortunate. Id love to meet some of the BF guys in person...and makers...but 18 hr drive...and crossing the border...sigh...

I mean, again, please don't let me dissuade you. I will be driving eight or nine hours myself, primarily so I can see some close friends (all of us are members here). Here are a few reasons to make the drive:

- You may meet some fellow Bladeforums members
- You will DEFINITELY get to meet, and shake hands with a ton of different makers. And these guys aren't celebrities, you won't need to stand in line for hours to meet someone, you just walk up to their table and introduce yourself!!
- You will see more knives than you've ever seen in one place before
- Ever been curious or interested in (insert literally any past or present production knife here) but have never seen it in person? Here, you will.
- You'll see knives that you had no idea existed
- There WILL be plenty of tables with plenty of customs for sale!
- Plenty of makers will take a custom order from you while at BLADE
- The Pit. All I need to say there.
- Atlanta isn't too bad, but it WILL be hot. Like, sacksoakingly hot. Bring water, dress in comfortable clothes, and comfortable broken-in shoes.

Last edited:
Only a few of the really high demand, flipable makers will sell out early. Most makers work hard for three days to clear their tables.

Been to every BLADE show since it moved to Atlanta.

Yea if there is a maker whose knives are the hot thing right now they are most likely sold in a deal the night before. Even if they are a 1st come 1st served deal at the table, you need to be there early bird ASAP. Sucks if you want one, but good for the maker. Only thing I dislike is if they have nothing to display at the table after. I always appreciate a maker that sells out, but keeps some of the sold knives on display.

The great thing about BLADE is that you get to see and handle so many knives you've only seen online or in magazines. Knives I was really interested in have fallen by the wayside after I got to handle them. Conversely I have discovered great knives I knew nothing about. Same goes for makers. There is always a chance you luck upon a new maker whose work in outstanding. This gives you the chance to get one of their knives before the prices climb and they become hard to find.

The best thing about the show for me now is the people. I have friends that I have made in the knife community that this is the only time of the year I see them. We hang out, check out knives, and catch up on things.

Depending on the maker, they'll likely still have some items to sell throughout the entire weekend. A lot of makers will hold lotteries in lieu of fcfs to give more people a chance at the knives. Makers usually have one or two dress knives they'll put up for auction as well, but those usually get well out of my comfort zone. I have a few items I'm eyeballing and will attempt to snag them, but if not, I'll still have a great time meeting makers and handling knives I've never seen in person.

Depending on the maker, they'll likely still have some items to sell throughout the entire weekend. A lot of makers will hold lotteries in lieu of fcfs to give more people a chance at the knives. Makers usually have one or two dress knives they'll put up for auction as well, but those usually get well out of my comfort zone. I have a few items I'm eyeballing and will attempt to snag them, but if not, I'll still have a great time meeting makers and handling knives I've never seen in person.

I dont know what “fcfs” means. :/ sorry. Clarity would be excellent!

and as someone from Atlanta and living about 20 mins from the Galleria, they are I believe charging for parking this year due to SunTrust. So just depending on how long you stay there...its fairly inexpensive.

Back