Question from a new Sebenza owner

Hi!

I received my large Sebenza today and since this is my first high end knife I'm not sure what to expect. I'm concerned about the area of the blade where the two "shoulders" form the edge. On my knife these two shoulders are not symmetrical. Is this normal?
View

Please excuse my bad English and the poor picture quality!

Kind regards,

Jojo

Wow, That does seem to be off by quite a bit... Ive never seen any that far off and no, it is not normal. I think I'd just send it back, CRK will take good care of you. Theres always that one that slips by.
After looking at mine very closely I can see only a VERY slight difference between the two sides.

smile.gif

------------------
Keith D.Armacost
"The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary
telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the tail in New York, and it
meows in Los Angeles. The wireless is the same, only without the
cat. " AE

SSHHHHHH......Don't let any of the BM guys see this, or Archieblue will really get it
smile.gif

I just pulled out two sebbies to take a look, noting that your photo below shows quite a bit of magnification, I would estimate that what you have there and what I see in mine, is similar and normal.

I don't believe it would affect performance negatively.

DaveH

I can't really comment on the grind, as I don't really know if that's OK or not.

But I would like to compliment you on the picture.........that's some mighty fine close-up work you did there
wink.gif

BTW...I just looked at the same area on my large plain, both sides appear as the right side on yours does in the pic. The grind is more of a sharp curve, than a trailing one as on the left. I would think this would also be evident up both sides of the knife if you switched back and forth really fast to see the difference. Hmmmmmmmm........

[This message has been edited by slag (edited 04-11-2001).]

Well I'll be darned! Took a look at all my Sebs and seems that they all have a small degree of difference, although not as pronounced as your's. Let's see what Anne has to say. It shouldn't affect the performance of the knife though.

HMMM, just took a look at my small plain, and the grind on mine is even. Yours is off no question, i am sure CRK would make it right if you are unhappy with it.

God bless )-+

------------------

Hermie

Hey, my small Classic2000 is like that too!

Kind of notched on the lock side and more of an arc on the non lock side.

On my large plain they are both a similar arc but definately not symmetrical.

Makes ya wonder?

------------------

"Don't get even, get odd"

Just checked out my 2 larges, a plain and a Damascus woodie. They are both perfect. You must remember that these blades are indeed hand ground. You will find some amount of variance from knife to knife. I would say that yours is to the extreme though.

Mine's a lil' off... juts a LITTLE. Like alot of other posts, mine is off in the same way... The right "shoulder" is lower. Though I don't think it *really* matters, I'd send it back if it were that pronounced.

------------------
peace love arch

[This message has been edited by archieblue (edited 04-12-2001).]

It's to be expected in any hand ground blade. Though too much should be caught at the factory. Your picture seems to show more of an off grind then should be there. I would call or write CR knives and ask about it. I wouldn't think they would have a problem with fixing it.

RW

Send it back, but don't lose faith! CRK will make it right. If you don't send it in, it will always "bug" you and you'll probably sell the knife. If you do send it in, you'll get it back in a few weeks the way it should be and you'll be glad you did. Customer service is where CRK really shines. It's a "no-brainer". Trust me, send it in.

Pete

The good news is that the grind looks pretty good on all three of my Sebenzas: the bad news is that a high resouution scan showed some rust on a never used or carried Decorated Sebenza! ( This is the second scan: I have already removed most of the rust...) Live and learn....

View

If my knives are the "norm", the grind in the picture posted eariler seems to be off... I would contact CRK....

Michael

------------------
He who has smelt the smoke is never free again...

Just for the record, we have been in direct contact with Jo discussing the his concerns with his blade. Because the blades are entirely hand ground, it does happen from time to time that the grinds differ from one side of the blade to the other. This one escaped our notice. That happens too!! We are only too willing to admit our human-ness! We are trying to work out an exchange for Jo - complicated only by the fact that he lives in Germany!

Anne

Anne,

Glad to hear it!!

Please let me add a question! Is there any significance to the number of ridges on the pivot ends of your handles? Or to the number of "steps" in the thumb stud? Any help in dating knives by these differences? (Please see my scan...) I never noticed these differances until I did a big scan....

Thanks,
Michael

Anne,
May I call you by your first name?
We all knew that you'd make things right. I have never read, heard nor seen a bad thing regarding CR Knives. (Well...maybe one bad thing. I cut my thumb, deeply(!!) on the second day I had my Sebenza. Can't blame THAT on you though.
smile.gif
)

Will

Final try:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Please let me add a question! Is there any significance to the number of ridges on the pivot ends of your handles? Or to the number of "steps" in the thumb stud? Any help in dating knives by these differences? (Please see my scan...) I never noticed these differances until I did a big scan....</font>

No, there really isn't any significance to the number of ridges on the scales - it simply has to do with what cutters get used and we are continually test different brands, styles so as to get the work done most efficiently.

Unfortunately, we don't have good records of the generations of thumb lugs and when changes were made. The very early ones had a smooth "back" with steps on the "front" (where you would touch it when opening) only. We then went to more uniform ones and, in the continual experimentation to achieve optimal performance and comfort, so we have increased and decrease the number of steps. I am sorry that I can't be more specific but we have just not kept these kinds of details on record.

Anne

P.S. I am more than happy to be called Anne - even though I appreciate the respect, and, as our son gets older, I get more used to the kids at school calling me Mrs. Reeve, I still think of Mrs. Reeve as Chris' Mom!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Chris Reeve Knives (edited 04-26-2001).]

Back