1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question-models that didn't work for you

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by drewway, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    It took 20 post to get some Runt pics from Phillip. Someone finally got my pokes. :p

VANCE likes this.
  2. Bmurray

Feb 9, 2012
    @drewway get yourself a FB Bushcrafter. You'll find this design very forgiving and likeable even with the subtle difference you'll find from one to another. Best BC design out there IMO. Forget about those coke bottle woodlores. Buy a Fiddleback!

3. Bmurray

Feb 9, 2012
    This thread is about opinions and this subforum is where you should have honest discussions and be able to express likes and dislikes with the brand. Not on some other forum so it looks like you're bashing the maker. I have no problem telling Andy my thoughts to him personally on a particular design as he has no problem telling me to keep my damn opinion to myself. Then we'll drink together and maybe take a bubble bath and spoon back at the cabin.

Not saying this actually happened, but not saying it didn't happen either.

4. lmalterna

lmalterna Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 12, 2002

:confused::eek:o_O

Bmurray likes this.
  5. ndmiller

ndmiller Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 30, 2015
    I actually carry 1-2 folders and the runt, never know when a friend needs a knife to cut themselves, I mean something.

For me, presenting the Runt is way less intimidating in an office environment than pulling out a folder and opening it up, something people fixate on when you do it. I'm finished cutting and the Runt is back in the pocket slip before anyone sees/knows what happened. Otherwise I'd just carry two dukes tip up in a double back holster under my sportcoat......

6. RobbieB

RobbieB Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    That'd be really cool!

B Griffin likes this.
  7. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    [Otherwise I'd just carry two dukes tip up in a double back holster under my sportcoat......[/QUOTE]

I think that such a set up would make the late Charlie Mike happy.:thumbsup:

Bmurray likes this.
  8. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    That's where I'm at with the Babyboot, it's small enough that comes out, it does its thing, it goes away and nobody even notices but it still has the same lines and attitude as its larger sibling which I like a lot. But with the baby version it looks like a very small folder blade in my hand and nobody thinks anything about it

VANCE, jaz322, Bmurray and 2 others like this.
  9. Lady1911

Lady1911 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2018
    @B Griffin brings up a good point about the Babyboot. It does resemble a folder in the hand, which is why I think it’s often my choice of EDC in a variety of environments. It’s no secret that I love everything about the Babyboot, especially the handle shape, but it’s also a great non-threatening option.

Nbrackett likes this.
  10. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    So do I. It's a pointier Runt blade attached to a shorter EDC-II handle, what's not to love? :)

11. The Shatz

The Shatz Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2017
    The esquire is about as small as I like to go

B Griffin likes this.
  12. varga49

varga49 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2016
    BOBAAAAYYYY ;)

Bmurray likes this.
  13. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Could you do a similar pic of a Babyboot and a Karda side by side?

14. Lady1911

Lady1911 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Sure, B. But it’s going to be a couple days before I can get to it. You want the Babyboot with an OS Karda? Or ED Karda?

B Griffin likes this.
  15. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Thank you, and now worries. Either or both lol. I am using the Babyboot for a couple of projects I am working on, and would just like a more informed opinion to offer about model suggestions if I am asked and it has been years since I handled a Karda of either variety.

16. NoRest

NoRest Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 2015
    @B Griffin Here you go Brian. I just happened to have both on my bench today.
    1/8" TT Babyboot, 1/8" SFT OS Karda
    [​IMG]Hosted on Fotki

17. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Thanks Greg! I was thinking there was only about a half inch difference or so and that it was mostly in the handle. But lol, the last couple of years have been an insane endeavor and I didn't trust my memory for giving out such information if people asked. I am fine with the three-finger handle of the BB for an edc knife and all I have used it for, I'll take the trade off for the added discretion, but some people need more handle.

NoRest likes this.
  18. NoRest

NoRest Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 2015
    This OS Karda lives in my kitchen. It's perfect for a small utility/paring knife. The Babyboot has been an EDC inside my pocket for a while now.

B Griffin and Lady1911 like this.
  19. adequacy

adequacy Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Soooo, I may have some unpopular opinions, but that's okay. I have found a number of models that just simply don't fit my hand.

Monarch - the handle was too short and end up being awkward and uncomfortable for me, especially because the blade is so big it didn't fit as a 3 finger or small knife

Bushcraft Jr - the handle curve at the end of the tang curves in, but lands in my palm due to hand size and placement

Bear Cub - Similar to monarch, but would have been acceptable as 3 finger knife

Nessmuk - the curvature of the handle felt okay when hanging out and fondling the knife, but in carving use it kept creating a space where I should have had a sure grip

--------------------

Knives I absolutely love:

Bushfinger, KE Bushie, Handyman, Hiking Buddy

Fiddleback, B Griffin and Lady1911 like this.
  20. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    I could see the Karda being a great little food pep knife actually.

I never had any issues with the Nessmuk, but I could see all three of the others being problematic in a big hand. I can whittle and carve fine with the BC Jr., but not so comfortably with those other two.