1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Question on Camillus Heat knives in new Cheaper than Dirt catalog

Discussion in 'Camillus Collector's Forum' started by winchester73, Jun 17, 2008.

1. winchester73

winchester73

Jan 6, 2008
    Does anyone know if Camillus had thes made in Spain before they went under or has someone bought the name like Taylor did Scrade? Regardless i like mine.

2. lowendd

lowendd

Feb 3, 2008
    I've got two Camillus Heat knives... One assemled in Taiwan, the other in Spain. I don't know though when Camillus made them in those countries.

But the one made in Spain doesn't "feel" that good in my hands. Somehow cheaper.

cheers
    David

3. Mountainwind

Mountainwind

Mar 13, 2006
    http://www.camillusknives.com/
    Also from Dec 07.
    For_Immediate_Release:
    United States of America (Press Release) November 16, 2007 -- American Tactical Imports is Proud to announce the re-birth of Camillus Blades USA. ATI will be offering exclusive designs by Blackie Collins and Darrel Ralph. The first product will be the popular and patented Heat series available in three sizes in black and silver blades. There are nine different models to choose from. These models are the first offered from our partners in Spain and Italy and are marked accordingly. ATI will also offer the Military approved. and patented. 18 X Ray (featured on Mail Call) NSN number available on request. Last but certainly not least the patented all plastic (Zytel) letter opener with Barillium Springs, great for campers, hikers and backpackers. Look for more exciting at the upcoming 2008 SHOT SHOW

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  4. missin_hobo

missin_hobo

Aug 9, 2007
    The Heat 3.65 (a Taiwan version) was the first serious knife I owned. It gave me my first impressions of how a knife ought to feel and how a knife ought to cut. I was lucky there.
    I lost it after eight months (and this was many years ago) but recently acquired one of the new made-in-Spain versions. Gotta say, I haven't noticed a difference.
    The ergonomics and blade geometry - arguably the most important parts - have remained intact, and I'm ashamed to say I find myself slipping this $50 impulse buy into my pocket more often than my Sebenza, which is my oldest and most sentimental knife. Maybe that's just typical of the affection I show a new knife, or maybe it's nostalgia, but the point is that I'm comfortable enough with the thing to carry it.
    Lockup on this new one is reassuringly solid, and devoid of wobble, whereas I remember a noticable amount of play on the Taiwan version that I had. The steel is different; I'm told it's the equivalent of 440C (as opposed to AUS8 on the previous version) but I've never used that steel before and I've only had the knife a few days, so I can't say just how good the toughness and edge retention are. I wear a wee little stone around my neck for touchups (I use my knife a lot at work) so I've been caring less and less about steel these days.
    My .02

5. Phil Gibbs

Phil Gibbs Cutlery Student Platinum Member

Nov 11, 1998
    The "Spanish" one is a Chinese knock-off and was done after the closing of Camillus Cutlery Company. In my opinion it comes nowhere close the the real Camillus Heat made in Taiwan.

6. missin_hobo

missin_hobo

Aug 9, 2007
    Phil - your opinion has wetted my interest; what about these knives makes them less than the Taiwanese version? I've been playing with my new 'Spanish' version for a few days now, and aside from some minor differences in edge retention, I can scarcely tell the two apart. Is there something you noticed that I haven't yet?

(I ask not to attack, but out of genuine curiosity. Thanks.)

7. Phil Gibbs

Nov 11, 1998
    Poor quality of the blade steel and heat treat (no cryo treatment) of the Chinese model aside....

I find the quality of the molded handle lacking, the area the blade stud rests against in the open position is sharp, and can scuff the hand while trying to draw the knife from the pocket.
    The washers are not of the same quality, blade will loosen up faster over time.
    The Camillus knife came with spare screws & a wrench for the clip.

& last but by no means least, the knife has Darrel Ralph's name on it, but he recieves no royalties on it!!:barf:

Aithough it is quite a reasonable pocket knife, I hate the way it has been PIRATED by a group that has no rights to the design or the intellectual properties involved. Hell they are not even being honest about where it is made...........

8. missin_hobo

missin_hobo

Aug 9, 2007
    Frankly, since 'a reasonable pocket knife' is all I ever wanted from it, the new 'Spanish' Heat is a knife I'm willing to stick with. It may be a lesser knife than its predecessor(sp), and it probably will start to wobble over time, but it's a cheap little thing that does what I ask and impresses my co-workers. Good enough, I guess.

Nevertheless Phil, I admire your ethical qualms. Ethics are an important part of the responsibility that comes with carrying a knife. When travelling among dedicated knuts and learned cutlers, I'll remember to pack my Sebenza. Thanks.

9. Mad_Maxx

Mad_Maxx

Nov 29, 2007
    I have 3 taiwanese blazes and 1 made in spain (handled 2) and the spanish version feels a bit cheaper IMO, the robo is not so "fast" and makes a less powerful BANG when you open it, blade is ok.
    what I like is tha the spanish one is black and has a plain edge, all 3 of my taiwan ones are silver and PS.

Maxx

10. Phil Gibbs

Nov 11, 1998
    Good observations Maxx!

In reality, it feels a little "cheaper" but it probablay cost alot less than half as much to manufacture!
    The REAL Camillus Heat knife was made by one of the very best Taiwanese Makers; every step to achieve real performance was taken.
    The "Spanish" :jerkit: one was a Knock Off Job most likely made at one of the factories that specializes in grey market Fakes. Anyone want to bet if the blade is Cryo treated like the original???

If you keep your eyes open, you will find a real Heat with black blade PE; they were made. So far I have not noticed a significant price spread between the originals & the knock off.