Question on DMT Aligner and Convex stone

I gave my Father in law a Spyderco Superhawk and he wants to sharpen it on his own. I had mine thinned out for me and it touches up perfectly, getting hair whittling sharp in a couple minutes on the Sharpmaker. My father in law doesn't want to thin his angle as he cuts lots of tougher stuff, and I was thinking the DMT Aligner with the convex stone may work for him (he can't get edges for crap on my sharpmaker). I'm just wondering if the convex stone can get a consistent edge on the relaxed hawkbill of the Superhawk, or just lead to frustration. I told him the Aligner would work perfect for his kitchen knives as well with the regular stones, but his main concern is the Superhawk. Should I just tell him to let me get it thinned out and have him learn to use a sharpmaker, or can the Aligner with the convex stone help him to get a fresh but toothy edge on his Superhawk.

Mike

It will work but it only comes in one grit (fine I think) and IMO has too much curve. As long as it does not need to be reprofiled then he should be ok, watch the tip too as its easy to round off with this tool. Your very limited when it comes to any sort of curved blade like that as there are very few tools that do the job right.

thanksTHThanks, it looks limited but my father in law only wants to maintain the same angle and is happy with a shaving DMT Fine edge. I'll let him know it may not work the greatest, but at least he should be set to do his kitchen knives if he gets all of the regular stones.

Mike

It should work good for him then, the first time might suck because he will need to set the bevel but after that touch-up's should be fine.

Back