Question on My New SnG

Question on my new SnG.

First, i wanted to confirm what Mick said about the knife's lock needing to break in, the lock only started to engage properly after about 100 openings and closings, and since i used my thumb to disengage the STIFF frame lock each time, my thumb is SORE. But, the lock is now engaging very nicely, right where i like to see it.

My question is, i know those little thumb stud looking things arent studs and are really blade stops, BUT, i think i have actually found that i can open the knife easier using them as a regular thumb stud than the cut out. Does anybody else use those as a stud, or am i crazy?

Well, im impressed with this knife, i wrote a pretty glowing review in the general forum, and i think ill probably have to buy more Striders now. There goes the bank account. Rent shment, i need an AR! :)

Ive always only used my cheaper knives, afraid to damage my higher-end knives, but you guys are right, this knife would be so much fun to use, ive never been this tempted to throw caution to the wind and use the crap out of an expensive knife.

Great knife guys.

Ari

Mick designed it so that those with gloves on can still open the knife easily by suing the combination of cutout and thubmstud. Mine needed the break in too, but is also working fine now.

My SNG needed about 300 openings to break in. I have noticed that the studs make deploying the knife with gloves quite easy.

Once you figure out how to use the stud, it opens FAST with it.
Glad you like your knife!
m

Originally posted by Megalobyte
tempted to throw caution to the wind and use the crap out of an expensive knife.
Only tempted??? Give in to that temptation and USE the sucker!:D

As a yoga teacher and martial artist, I'd like to warn you that all of that opening and closing to break-in your knife is bad for you and can cause irreversible arthritis. The Strider Guys should have thought of that. My suggestion?.......... Send me your new SnG and I, with my professsional, highly-trained wrists and hands, will break in your new SnG for you at no cost whatsoever. I will then return it to you fully broken-in in a timely manner.

Unless I'm out of town, or really busy, or a little tired, or have a case of the sniffles coming on, or it's cloudy outside, or I misplace my car keys, or.............

Kshurika,

Is this the infamous 'Crouching Tiger, Light-Fingered Ninja' school I've heard so much about?

My wife is of the same discipline. She can deftly eat almost all of the General T'sao's chicken off my plate with cat-like moves using only traditional Europian silverware.

Kshurika, i genuinely appreciate how you're looking out for me and all, and i'll be more than happy to send you my new SnG for break-in.....

When monkeys fly out of my butt!!!

:)

Okay, I can handle that. Just tie your SnG to one of the monkey's paws, give him my address, and point the way to Big Sur.

Anything to help.

just a question from the curious. Why do these knives take so long to "break in"? I have many customs, obenauf, blackwood, etc, and they where all smooth opening, first time, every time. This is not meant to start a flame war. It just seems that for 400.00, it should be out the box, ready to go....

My SNG took exactly 184 and 1/2 openings before it got smooth. You know that feeling don´t you. When it´s "just right".

Yes. I´m just being an ass. Sorry.

I´m a happy GB owner, please don´t be mad. :)

/Colinz

Don't get me wrong. I have a GB, and like it very much. It's a stout knife. I'm just curious what cause's the SNG to take that much breaking in?

I can certainly understand your point, i mean my Sebenzas never needed a break in period, but, i think its kind of neat that these SnG's are so tight that they need to be a little worn to break in, the alternative is to sort of reduce the tightness of the mechanism at the factory to allow for easier initial functioning, personally, id rather let the knife start out tighter and wear in from there. But MAN is my thumb sore! :)

Seriously though, knowing what i know about guns, i would say its true that the tighter a mechanism fits together, the more it needs to be broken in by use before it is 100% reliable and consistant. And like i said, id rather have the knife come to me as tight as it is, than "pre-worn" to make it smoother (looser).

Back