Question on new flipper

I just bought a new Pro Turbulence Crossbones from Knifeart. I absolutely love the knife. However, it does take a lot of pressure to open it, whether using the flipper or even the thumbstubs. Is this because it is new and will loosen up? Or, can I do something to loosen it a little? It's actually pretty difficult to open. I had a Zero Tolerance that opened rather easily.

I absolutely love everything about this knife, but it is rather difficult to open...and I like to think I'm a pretty strong dude, lol. :D Just curious if this is normal or not as it's my first IKBS. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Mine is the same way and I think it is designed this way. The strong detent allows for maximum pressure on the flipper before it releases and allowing the knife to fly open with every flip. I love the way this one flips, opens fast every time.

Hopefully this is a close explanation, if not, maybe Tim will chime in with the a better one. :D

Thanks for the reply. I do like that it has good detention. Also, it seems to be working a bit smoother after playing with it a bit. Love it.

Turb_bke1.jpg

Turb_bke2.jpg

Turb_bke4.jpg

Turb_bke3.jpg

Last edited:
Two things.

First, those aren't really "thumbstuds" they are actually the stop pins. They can be used as thumbstuds, but I would recommend opening the knife slightly with the flipper and then using the thumbstuds to open it the rest of the way.

Second, you have to be careful about how your hand is placed on the handle. When you are using a framelock flipper with a strong detent and you are placing any pressure on the lockbar when opening, you are going to get a lot of resistance. The slightest pressure keeps that ball detent solidly locked in it's nest. The resistance can almost be enough that it makes the blade impossible to open at times. Be aware of your grip and keep pressure off of the lockbar. Once you get used to opening the blade in a particular grip it becomes second nature.

99% of the time when someone is having trouble flipping a framelock flipper it is due to pressure on the lockbar. Like I said, adjust your grip and you'll see a world of difference. My Turbulence is actually the smoothest and easiest to open of all the Pro Series knives I have.

Tony8179 is correct. The thumbstuds are not designed for opening, they are made as a "stop pin". Where you place your hand is very important on all intregal locks more so with a flipper. A strong intregal lock and detent is one of keys to a good flipper.
BTW if you think the Turbulence needs a lot of pressure to open you should try a RJ Martin flipper.

Back