Question on Scabbard of WWI Maharaja of Jodhpur Khukuree (pics to follow)

I was wondering if JP or someone could send me pics/rough-sketch or describe to me the construction of the fitted scabbard for the WWI Maharaja of Jodhpur khukuree.

(the one shown on the FAQ site :
maharajaWWI.jpg
)

many thanks, Ben.

Ben -
The description on the FAQ brings a picture of an opened side which "allows the blade to be drawn from the back of the scabbard". Terry Sisco's quick draw scabbard was open on the spine-side (front, to me) of the scabbard, from the bend to the top, with a snapped thumb-break strap to secure the blade. The belt loop was sewn to the leather (or was part of the leather) wrapping the scabbard, and not on a frog. The pic isn't clear enough, but there appears to be what might be a release on the strap on the fitted sheath. This may have been the grandaddy of the clamshell holster.

You either have to have an opening big enough for the blade or else hinge the scabbard -- ain't any other way.

Remember the old boiled egg and milk bottle trick? Once you got the egg in the bottle it never came out again -- in one piece, that is.

Ben,
You have mail. Hope the pix and descriptions help since this is a very tricky and unstable scabbard.

Many thanks again John (I sent reply mail) - and best of luck!

here the pic JP sent:
jp-maharaja.jpg

here's the khukuree I got (sans scabbard obviously):
wwi-raja-01.jpg

as you can see the blade is coated with a thick layer of (dried oil??) which makes it almost black, and on the one side [showing] there are little splatters of what look like white paint on the blade.

more photos to follow when it's cleaned up a bit.

cheers, B.

Uncle ,
Thats the one , I have one that belongs to a friend. The only change I made was adding a snap instead of a brass stud and loop.
Terry

Back