Question Re: AXIS Lock Knives

Many of Benchmade's Mel Pardue knives look like they have the same AXIS subframe judging from the exposed stainless portions at the top and bottom front of the handles. Some of the other models look like they may also share the same subframe.

Is it bossible to swap the handles from say a Benchmade 720 and a Benchmade 550?

I love everything about my Griptilian except the handle.* I'd love to swap the Noryl GTX handles on my Griptilian for the G10 or Aluminum handles from one of Benchmade's other Mel Pardue collaberations. Possible?

*For me, 440C is "good enough" for EDC and AFAIK Benchmade does not offer a thumbhole blade of better steel in an AXIS lock knife, except in the 806D2, which I already own.

probably not. The sub frames may be similar, but the blades are not. You could end up doing some blade mods. Whats wrong with a 720, or 721? the blades are 154cm and easy to sharpen, and hold a decent edge. Ive been carrying a 721 for over a year as am edc and used it extensively for everything (camping, ect.). All I do is mainatain the edge on a leather strop!

Yep, I read a thread in which a guy swapped out the blade of a Griptilian into a 720, using a Dremel.

The thread is here.

It has links to pics in there, too.

Many of Benchmade's Mel Pardue knives look like they have the same AXIS subframe judging from the exposed stainless portions at the top and bottom front of the handles
Pretty interesting observation however not quite accurate. The Axis Lock module construction is the same, indeed. However load-capable frames are different and certainly not interchangeable.
Here is how Gripty is built inside.
Grip_01.jpg

Nothing is wrong with those knives. It's just that I already have a Griptilian and like a thumbholes a lot better than thumb studs. As I said, for me 440C is good enough for EDC. For hard use I have a Benchmade 806D2.

Does anyone know the answer to this question? From a manufacturing perspective it would make sense for Benchmade to use the same AXIS subframe on as many knives as possible. Only the back of the blade (pivot hole, AXIS lockup surfaces, etc.) would have to be the same. The shape of the exposed blade could still differ significantly.

P.S. Thanks Sergiusz! It looks like we were posting at the same time.

P.P.S. Thanks sph3ric pyramid! The linked thread says "the Axis mechanism [in the 720] was identical [to that of the 550], but the 550 blade was about .25 inch too long for the 720 handle and would need to be shortened." This answers my question. I love this place! :)

I know what you mean.I like Benchmade models, but on some models, I'd like to have their componets swapped. (Handles, blades, locking mechs, etc.)

You bet you can swap blades. Not only do the lock and pivot assemblies fit perfectly but the opening hole and overall shape of the blade sits just right in the handle.

You are going to want to switch the blades, not the entire lock mechanism. Trust me. While they are the same, leaving the cartridge in the knife it came with removes a whole host of alignment and torque issues that you would have to deal with otherwise. Just unscrew the pivot all the way and you can remove just the blade no problem.

The 720 and 550 is the same combo that I swapped together and it should work out no problem. Be careful if you decide to try it with other knives, because BM makes at least three different versions of the Axis mechanism.

One is the "Big Drop-in" thats on the 720 and 550 and many other knives. There is also the "Small Drop-in" that is on the mini-Grips and several of the smaller Osbournes. The BM710 has a unique design that doesn't use the drop-in cartridge, and instead has the whole steel liner machined to accept the Axis.

The geometry is different on all three, and they are not swappable between each other.

Best knife-related thing I ever did. Almost six months later that Frankenbenchmade is still my EDC and I haven't bought a single folder since. Before that I was getting about one a month.

My earlier post on it is pretty self-explainatory, but feel free to let me know if you have any questions about doing the swap.

And I was just getting used to having a one of a kind knife......;)

Seriously, the fact that two people came up with the same idea for the same swap independantly tells me that if BM were to make this knife available without all the hassle they would have a real winner on their hands.

I agree. If Benchmade came out with a limited edition "Super Griptilian" with an D2, M2 or S30V blade and aluminum or G10 handles, I'd pay the price I paid for my 806D2.

I liked yor project a lot, but I'm not too keen on the idea of shortening the blade. More a comment on my confidence in my ability to do a good and good looking job than on your design.

The problem with the 720 is the blade is only 3.25" long, so the handle is too short for an unmodified 3.45" Griptilian blade. The blade of a 940 is 3.4" long, however. If the AXIS cartridges are the same, a Griptilian blade might fit with no modification or less modification than fishbulb had to do to get his Griptilian blade to fit in a 720 handle.

Anyone have a 940 with a trashed or broken blade? :D

Actually, the 720 does'nt have a "drop in", the entire liner is machined to accept the Axis-lock (just like the 710).

The difference is that only a portion of the 720 liner extends to the handle edge. The remaining portion of liner is nested in the thick G-10 slabs but still extends nearly the entire handle length (about 1" short).

Originally posted by allenC
Actually, the 720 does'nt have a "drop in", the entire liner is machined to accept the Axis-lock (just like the 710).

The difference is that only a portion of the 720 liner extends to the handle edge. The remaining portion of liner is nested in the thick G-10 slabs but still extends nearly the entire handle length (about 1" short).

That is correct. Maybe I wasn't clear eough with the meaning of "drop in".

I refer to it as a "drop in" cartridge because the sheet metal which comprises the liner and support for the axis mechanism is common throught much of the product line.

I could take the liner assembly out of a 720 handle and drop it into a 550 handle without modifying anything. The 710, on the other hand, has liners that are integral to the knife, and cannot be swapped between products.

Now I see what you're saying!
I had never noticed that before.
So the large Griptilians and the 720 Pardues are interchangable.
Just curious, Which other series models are also interchangable?

Originally posted by curious2003
sorry I should have been more specific...I meant the 710's recurve

If you don't mind a bit of work there is no reason that you couldn't put a nice recurve on just about anything.

I actually prefer knives that come without them, because it is easy to put one on but almost impossible to get one off.

A diamond rod and a clear idea of what you want to accomplish should be all you'll need.

Does anybody else see factory knives as nothing but a good "jumping off" point to modify into the tool you really want, or is it just me?

That's true but it sure as heck would be alot easier if BM just did it for us :D

besides right about now I know as much about sharpening as I know about flying (not on planes, meaning NOTHING.

so yeah, for the inexperienced/lazy out there...

I don't know if this is relevant to the subject or not, but if you want to swap handles because of the balance issue.....

I just bought my first Griptilian, a 551GY. I already had a Mini and figured the full size would be built the same way.
I was very disappointed to find out the liners are not full length on the big Grip, meaning it was really blade heavy.
Long story short: I mixed up some J-B Weld
and added to all the little, empty partitions in both halves of the handle. The knife is now perfectly balanced and no longer has that hollow sound!
BTW, the J-B Weld is exactly the same color as the 551GY handles.

Paladin

javascript:smilie(':D')

Back