Question regarding Custom Shop NMSFNO

sixpak1

Gold Member
Hi guys,

I have this Custom Shop NMSFNO that I've had for a while now, but I am confused as to what makes it a custom shop piece. It has black coating and black canvas scales. It appears to possibly have a convex edge but the coating makes it difficult to tell for sure. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• 60ABFA52-4E4F-41DE-9294-1FD89BCD29DA.jpeg
    60ABFA52-4E4F-41DE-9294-1FD89BCD29DA.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 90
  • FC210E9C-941A-4D42-BC80-217E4E7D1E69.jpeg
    FC210E9C-941A-4D42-BC80-217E4E7D1E69.jpeg
    272.1 KB · Views: 78
  • C83A8E75-592B-445D-B769-CA41B62494E0.jpeg
    C83A8E75-592B-445D-B769-CA41B62494E0.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 79
  • EFD449BC-5BA0-497C-90C0-E22B7CCAC2A3.jpeg
    EFD449BC-5BA0-497C-90C0-E22B7CCAC2A3.jpeg
    166 KB · Views: 76
Can't tell from the pic, does it have stainless spacers? From what i have seen, it used to be that you could order a cs knife of a model that wasnt offered in production at the time. Keeping the custom features down lowered the custom shop up charge. Either that or maybe a show special. Have you checked the thickness? Maybe a non spec thickness

Could also be it was made after the original run, so it was discontinued but someone ordered a knife no longer made from the custom shop ?
But only Busse will know for sure since they are the absolute expert on things regarding Busse knives.
Have you asked them ?

Can't tell from the pic, does it have stainless spacers? From what i have seen, it used to be that you could order a cs knife of a model that wasnt offered in production at the time. Keeping the custom features down lowered the custom shop up charge. Either that or maybe a show special. Have you checked the thickness? Maybe a non spec thickness
It has no scale spacers and the thickness is .25"

Could also be it was made after the original run, so it was discontinued but someone ordered a knife no longer made from the custom shop ?
But only Busse will know for sure since they are the absolute expert on things regarding Busse knives.
Have you asked them ?
I haven't asked them yet (maybe Garth or Jerry will chime in);)

Were some made to be sold at the old Busse Company Store after the initial run? Did they have the Custom Shop logo? I can't remember for sure.

Were some made to be sold at the old Busse Company Store after the initial run? Did they have the Custom Shop logo? I can't remember for sure.

For regular Busse offerings like the NMSFNO, the Company Store offerings would typically be the same as the ones sold from the Busse site, except with a much more limited number of options. They normally had the regular Busse logo and not the Custom Shop.

ETA: They definitely sold a NMSFNO in Black with Machined Black Canvas at the Company Store in April of 2009. I couldn't find a picture of that knife, but the ASH-1 that was offered just before had the regular Busse logo, as you can see here.

Edited Again To Add: Would you believe just $262 for a Satin Boney Active Duty (60-62 Rc) with Bruiser G10, and just $327 for a CG NMSFNO with canvas Micarta? I almost regret not buying more.

Last edited:
I haven't asked them yet (maybe Garth or Jerry will chime in);)

I would think it would be better to call or e-mail and be proactive to get the accurate info you seek.
I am sure they are pretty busy trying to get all our orders out.
But as with all the info in the thread so far that is speculation :)

I've been around these knives almost 20 years and still find going directly to the guy who made it/owns the company is best ;)

I would think it would be better to call or e-mail and be proactive to get the accurate info you seek.
I am sure they are pretty busy trying to get all our orders out.
But as with all the info in the thread so far that is speculation :)
This is why I decided to ask here first, don't want to hold up production. I've got orders awaiting fulfillment!:D

I think Jerry clarified previously that the tube fasteners are interchangeable so that may not help. However, if you ordered an out of production blade (prior to the Custom Shop ceasing to take new orders you could do this if they had a blank available) from the CS it may have all the features you would associate with a Combat Grade (or whatever the normal production version looked like) but would bear the CS logo, I believe this is what you have. I have several blades I ordered and which were supplied as such.

Cheers

Andy

Last edited:
I remember seeing that on the exchange... off to search... and here are the results...
That NMFSNO looks a lot like one I saw on the exchange last year with the exception of the new shiny tube fasteners and no blue liners:
*SNIP*
NMSFNO. Black blade, black canvas scales, and blue liners. Comes with a brand new Buy Brown pancake sheath. $700
32526928934_4585318f24_z.jpg
33214443102_d6ce8e92d9_z.jpg

27951992295_813fa644fa_b.jpg

*SNIP*

Followed by post #10 of that sale thread:
*SNIP*

NMSFNO SPF to ndocyk

Which I believe is who sold you the one you have back in August:
i have for sale a new/unused custom shop NMSFNO black blade, black canvas magnum handles. Comes with a black buy brown kydex sheath.

*SNIP*
Image insertion from that post:
img_2653-jpg.753567

img_2654-jpg.753568

img_2655-jpg.753569
I'll take this

Did you ask Ndocyk about it since it looks like you bought it from him? He might know more about it than we are able to take a curious guess at since he was involved in both of those transactions. ;)

I remember seeing that on the exchange... off to search... and here are the results...
That NMFSNO looks a lot like one I saw on the exchange last year with the exception of the new shiny tube fasteners and no blue liners:

Followed by post #10 of that sale thread:

Which I believe is who sold you the one you have back in August:

Did you ask Ndocyk about it since it looks like you bought it from him? He might know more about it than we are able to take a curious guess at since he was involved in both of those transactions. ;)
Way to break out the forensic skills Tim!

Reaching out to Ndocyk was next on my list after I asked in the forum. I figure the vast knowledge here was a great place for me to start. Now I'm curious where my liners are LOL.

Lastly, if I wasn't getting anywhere I was gonna reach out to Busse. Doing things in the reverse order may have gotten me there sooner, but I wouldn't have been involved in such a great discussion.:)
I really appreciate everyone's input.

real possibilities on the liners:he liked the liners, so kept that one and sold this one;someone took the liners off and that's why it has shiny fasteners

Ndocyk had WTB/WTT threads for a black NMSFNO, so probably the most you'll be able to get from Ndocyk is who Ndocyk got it from.

The plot thickens......

Is it safe to assume that liners would come from the custom shop?

Back