1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Nov 16!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Nov 17 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

Question -- Wegner Jr. (Sal ?)

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Guyon, Apr 19, 2000.

1. Guyon

Guyon Biscuit Whisperer Staff Member Super Mod

Mar 15, 2000
    Okay, nobody noticed my question when the subject heading was just "Wegner Jr." I'll see how this post fares.

Way back in September of last year, Sal said in a post about the Wegner Jr. "if Tim decides to carry it as an exclusive, we'll probably go to VG10." In the same thread, Tim himself responded, " I am leaning on having Spydie do an improved exclusive run of C49's. Will keep you posted!"

Is this great knife in VG-10 any closer to being a reality? Any chances of prototypes at this year's Blade Show?

------------------
    Guyon
    AKTI Member #A001044

"The hardest knife ill used doth lose his edge."
    -William Shakespeare, Sonnet 95

2. shootist16

shootist16 knife law moderator Moderator

Dec 25, 1998
    I wonder if that idea was replaced with the mouskinna? Smaller than the Wegner jr though. I will miss the Wegner jr for sure. One of Spyderco's best knives to date. Wasn't there also talk of improving the full size Wegner? Maybe VG-10 and the compression lock?

------------------
    Dennis Bible

3. Hoodoo

Hoodoo

Aug 18, 1999
    I'm also interested in this. I love the Wenger Jr and any changes, new models etc, I would be interested in. The mouskinna is kinda cool but it's no replacement for the Wegner Jr.

------------------
    Hoodoo

The low, hoarse purr of the whirling stone—the light-press’d blade,
    Diffusing, dropping, sideways-darting, in tiny showers of gold,
    Sparkles from the wheel.

Walt Whitman

4. DL

DL

May 15, 1999
    I'm interested too. It's a great little knife, too bad the sales were not enough to keep it in production. I seem to recall that Tim Wenger was interested in buying up Spyderco's remaining stock but have the opening hole enlarged, did that happen?

5. Roger Blake

Roger Blake

Oct 11, 1998
    I like the Wegner Jr. too. If it does go into production again I would like to see the hole enlarged. That and the steel are the only improvements I can see.

------------------
    Roger Blake

6. jeffj

jeffj

Apr 8, 1999
    I'll have to throw my vote in also for the VG10 Wegner Jr. I would really like to see this. (I own 1 Wegner and 4 Wegner Jr. is that a vote or what?)

jj

7. Guyon

Guyon Biscuit Whisperer Staff Member Super Mod

Mar 15, 2000
    Just getting this post back to the top so Sal might see it.

8. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    The possibility of a small Wegner run with changes will depend on Tim. My guess is that he'll wait until he sees "Mouse Knife" results.

Keep in mind also that a Wegner Jr with a larger hole looks very much like the Pro-Grips. New tooling would be required and a minmum run would be 1,200 pieces. Quite an investment. Tim's call.

sal

9. dogboye

dogboye Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Good point. I have considered the Pro-Grip (and the Pro-Venator) several times, considering the steel that is in them seems pretty fine. But, I just can't get over that partial serration. Just a personal problem, ya know. [​IMG]

------------------
    iktomi

10. Roger Blake

Roger Blake

Oct 11, 1998
    The Pro-Grip is a lockback not a linerlock and this makes a big difference in the action of the knife. Also the handle and the blade materials are not as good either. I addmit to not having had a Pro-Grip but only making the observation based on looking at them.

------------------
    Roger Blake

[This message has been edited by beam (edited 05-01-2000).]

11. Champion

Champion

Apr 29, 2000
    Sal, make that 1197 pieces. I'll take three.

The Pro-grips just don't cut it [​IMG], with the lockback and partial serrations. Now, give us a Pro-grip with a good strong liner lock, and a plain edge, and we may just forget about another Wegner Jr.

Naw, we won't. Wegner Jr. is what we need/want/hunger for! [​IMG]

------------------
    Champions make improvements as fast as losers make excuses.