Questionable Instruction

So last weekend I attended a class on medicinal plants & how to make a tincture. Class was held maybe 15 minutes from my house at a park that use to be a Cherokee Indian Village. The instructor was of Cherokee descent and has a business selling various tinctures/salves/soaps/etc. on her website. Right from the start I could tell there was going to be a lot of Indian spiritual lore discussed. Not an issue as long as there is good information passed along, and it might even add to the class.

Red Flag 1 came about during this part when the instructor claimed to have undergone a vision quest for 7 days with NO WATER and no food. Thinking I'd misheard her I asked for clarification and the same info was repeated. From that point on my outlook on the class was tainted.

Red Flag 2 was watching her continually walk past Dandelions without any mention of their benefits. At first I though maybe she was focusing on some lesser known plants or maybe ones tied to Cherokee lore. When she started in on Pine Needles an Plantains (Plantago Major) I knew that wasn't so.

Red Flag 3 was getting the use & meaning of a plants name wrong. When telling us about the plant Boneset she stated the name came from it's use as a salve or poultice to place over sites of a broken bone to aid in healing. The actual meaning came from it's use to treat Dengue Fever - also know as Break Bone fever due to the horrible joint pain it can cause.

Basically what she knew she knew, but what she didn't she would improvise - usually with some Cherokee story thrown in. Morale of the story: research & quantify the information you are given, don't just take it as Gospel. This is especially true in regards to use of plants as food & medicine.

Some humor was provided by the young 20 something couple that asked about "mushrooms" a couple times. There was also the lady wearing cheesy Indian jewelry that struggled with remembering simple plant traits, but knew right off what SSRIs were. Then there was the guy that thought the Cessna flying overhead was a drone.

That said I did come away with some knowledge. I can better identify some plants & learned of a couple new ones. And at the very least I got out from in front of my computer screen and into the woods.

Good thing you knew better! There are a lot of phonies out there. Choose people with lots of history behind them and those folks who have written books. We have Christopher Nyerges here in my neck of the woods. He's great!

I'm 62 and have never taken any classes such as you've just described since my youth when I was on Boy Scouts. We went to a week long camp one summer in WV and took a guided nature hike by a true Indian. (Well, part, anyway) He showed us a lot. One plant that I still recognize and use to this day was, Jewel weed.

Always been interested in wild plants. Have spent many many hours simply looking for wild plants to mostly photograph. I am not so into the medicinal aspects, but I have a number of books on the subject and recognize many of these plants in their natural setting. I may forget the common name, but I remember the plant.

There was a lady in the North Georgia area that was a big herbalist and sold her concoctions to people. The medical community got upset at some point and she no longer provides these things for sale.

You cannot beat the old school ways. I don't have to tell anyone here, that a lot of medicine today has components from herbs.

Same story with SD courses. Many are hardly more than jokes.
Talk to those who have taken the course if you can.

I've done a couple walks with Steven Brill in CT. He seems to be very knowledgable. His books are good but use line drawing instead of pics, which I prefer.--KV

Back