• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Questions about using a saw blade to make a knife.

I have an old circular saw blade that I want to make a knife out of, but I read somewhere that the metal used in newer blades doesn't make a good knife. Is there some way for me to tell? I'm going to be making this by stock reduction, do I need to anneal the blade first? Last question, how much maintenance does this steel require?

Thanks in advance. :)

It might be L6 but the only way to get an idea of the steel is to take a sample and heat treat it and see if it gets hard. If you anneal the steel first it will be much easier to work with. Maintanence ? it will rust.

Take a small piece of your sawblade, heat it to the point that it won't attract a magnet, and dunk it in some light oil or water. Then put it in a vice and hit it with a hammer. If it breaks like glass, it'll probably make a decent knife.

New steel is awful cheap, and then you know for sure what you are working with and how to treat it.

Todd

Back