Questions about Warren Thomas Knives

So I really like the design and physical characteristics behind these knives. However I cant seem to find any information on the cutting ability ( is it shaving sharp, can it make clean controlled cuts?

Also, how well does it maintain sharpness) and the sharpening method (how does one sharpen a carbide edge? does it have to be sent in?)

If you guys have some answers or know someone who does I'd appreciate a pointer in the right direction.

Thanks
-Ryan

I don't have one, but from what I know, it's sharp in a different way to most knives. The carbide edge means that it acts like a very tiny, fine-toothed saw that results in something more like a very neat tear than a normal cut. It won't be good for fine cutting and I think shaving hair would result in a very nasty outcome, but for other materials where this kind of precision isn't needed, I hear it works very well.

On the note of shaving, from what I've read it can cause a rather nasty wound if you cut yourself (or someone else) since the carbides mean that it cuts the flesh, then as the blade travels down, the carbides rub against the exposed flesh with the same effect as if you used fine sandpaper on an open cut.

Iv got a couple of WT fixed blades. The carbide edge will not shave you but will cut just about anything you put infront of it.
The carbide is pretty hard wearing and iv not actually had to sharpen the ones I have yet. I dont use them a great deal but if it were steel they would have needed a touch up or two at least by now.
The do behave pretty similarly to a regular steel knife edge though, Its not like having a saw instead of a clean edge. the carbide teeth are on a nearly micrsopic scale.

Infact, here is some pics of a Warren Thomas blade under the microscope.
If IRC this is about 4-500x mag.

This is a pic of the point and the area where the carbide frosting covers the Ti
attachment.php

This is a pic of the actual carbide cutting edge.
attachment.php

:thumbup:

Thanks for the post, I wondered this too.

Thanks, Haze. I'm going to get a WT FB. For light weight PP, these knives are hard to beat. ;)

I'd love to buy an Emerson HD7 and have him make an all Ti blade for it.

If you can hold onto it for a couple more months I will. I'm a disabled vet and am living off $1161 a month :jerkit:

Mission really should have an option for carbide.

Thanks a bunch guys!

Hey Lycosa, how you liken the Beretta?

I just ordered one, and saw your post a few minutes afterwards...

Thanks for the info Haze, I stand corrected!

It is a "toothy" edge they have on them but it still slices rather than abrades if you know what i mean.

If you cut with one you can feel the differance same as if you had a toothy edge over a polished edge on a steel blade.

:thumbup:

Maxpower---You're going to love the Beretta, I hope. It's my EDC. Strong, light, razor-sharp and Uber-Cool! Let me know how you like it. Thanks. ;)

Back