Questions for the XM experts on subtle differences.

So I have recently gotten my second XM, this one straight from Hinderer and immediately noticed some subtle differences between the two and am looking for confirmation that the differences are normal or part of a generational change.

First is the blade not sitting at the same depth in the handle when closed. Note, the Coyote is the one direct from Hinderer.

Second is the machining of the jimping, one is nice and smooth while the other has some obvious machine marks that I am not sure will show up well in the pics.

Third is the shaping of the thumb stud.

Thanks for any input.

Well, I'll tell you what Doc... I'd need to see pics of the lockside to see if they are different Generations. RHK uses two different thumbstuds currently, whatever is pulled from the bin is what is used. As far as one blade being a few mm lower than the other, I don't know what to tell you. I'm sure you'll get many more opinions.

Here ya go Hammer. The long cut on the lock bar is thinner on one and seems to be shaped slightly different in the lock face area.

Different blade steels. I've noticed other S35VN 3.5 Wharnie's seeming to seat deeper in the handle that the most recent CPM20V's.

Thanks Hammer.

Anybody else have any comments on the blade sitting at different heights?

Different production runs, it is possible they have different blade stop diameters which causes them to sit differently closed, these are hand fitted and assembled. If that isn't the reason, the blade shape where it contacts the blade stop could be subtly different. Either way, there may not be a less meaningful difference than this one.

Mike already noted, both versions of the thumb stud are current and in use and these are the same generation (Gen 4).

Well the good news is I now no longer think I am OCD....... You guys pay WaaY to close attention to stuff. :)

Well the good news is I now no longer think I am OCD....... You guys pay WaaY to close attention to stuff. :)

Darn right. Part of the reason I feel they are with the cash is the details, the devil is in them as they say.

That and the quality of the fakes is getting scary good and wanted some opinions on the differences between these two to ease my mind.

Thanks for the input all.

Darn right. Part of the reason I feel they are with the cash is the details, the devil is in them as they say.

That and the quality of the fakes is getting scary good and wanted some opinions on the differences between these two to ease my mind.

Thanks for the input all.

That's an easy answer - Definately not fakes You're good.

Back