Questions from a 'hawk novice...

Hi Andy!
Opportunist that I am, I'll jump right in with a BIG question.
By way of "background" I like to throw sharp things.
biggrin.gif
I once went out and bought three very cheap chinese made hatchets and was almost immediately rewarded with the ability to stick them just about anywhere I wanted to. I'm pretty accurate, and as long as I'm at the right number of paces from my target, I can thunk them in with pretty good regularity. (Probably sticking 8 out of 10 times)
The QUESTION comes here,
I bought a "Rifleman's 'hawk" from a company that makes them as a uhm, special project if you get my meaning.
wink.gif

I've never once been able to get it to stick under ANY circumstances.
It seems like maybe the handle is too long, (I think it swings forward and bounces the blade out so it can't stick.) but surely they make it to the proper length?
I know I'm hitting pretty solidly, as I leave a good cut in the target. (the end of an old stump turned on it's side)It just won't STICK!
Am I doing something wrong, or is there something wrong with the hawk itself?
If so, what?
What's the difference between a GOOD hawk design and a BAD one?

------------------
Tráceme no sin la razón, envoltura mi no sin honor

First, let me suggest that you also post this question on the KnifeThrowing forum here at BladeForums if you have not done so already.

Now onto your question.

In our view, a "GOOD" Hawk has the following characteristics...

#1 Made in the USA...as the Tomahawk truly is American in its hertitage!!!
smile.gif

#2 Differentially heat treated...a hard cutting edge with a soft body...makes for excellent shock and impact resistance.

#3 Proper grinding geometry and edge geometry....many inexpensive Tomahawks are quite thick at the edge grind due to production processes and lack the ability to stick with a light throw...as well, many do not sport very sharp cutting edges. Our Hawks are built with cutting and penetration in mind...which can be seen in the sharpness of the cutting edge and the proper geometry given to the blade flats. The Rogers' Rangers series, while period in presentation, are all EXTREMELY sharp Hawks, with the ability to stick into a hard wood target with a light flick of the arm!
cool.gif

#4 Design....this includes weight and dimension characteristics as well as handle attachment methods. A shorter handle brings the thrower closer to the target, however, it becomes more difficult to control. A longer handle is easy to control, but requires a further distance to the target for a complete turn...or turns
biggrin.gif
I love doubles and triples!!!

A Hawk handle around 16" with a head weight around 1-1.5 lbs. makes for a killer thrower.
Pipe, Spike, and Hammer Poll Hawks, if they are going to be thrown, must be made with weight sensitivity in mind...I own beautiful custom Tomahawks from plenty makers and I love them all!!! Some of them however, I would never throw due to the head weight.....for instance, I have a very expensive, ABS Mastersmith Spike Hawk, which graces my collection and I bow to it everyday!!
biggrin.gif
just kidding...

Anyway, after three throws, which were perfect sticks, the handle broke because the head was too heavy and the handle eye too small for that small amount of wood in the head to absorb the shock.

Our Hawks vary in dimension and weight between the models, as they are intended for different applications...however, they can ALL be thrown, but some throw better than others.

Wheeeeewwwwwwwww......sorry for the long reply. I love talking Hawks though
smile.gif

------------------
Andy Prisco,
Co-Founder, Manager
American Tomahawk Company
877-557-5200
http://www.americantomahawk.com
----------------------

*hunting for my saw*
GREAT answer, Andy.
Thanks!
biggrin.gif

------------------

Wow!
Okay, I'm impressed! LOL
I took your advice, cut the haft down to 16 inches, and reshaped the edge on this Taiwan POS and took it outside.
At 10 yards, I stuck it three out of the first four throws!
I think you've made a sale! (As soon as my wife lets me have more play money.)
biggrin.gif

THANKS!

------------------

That's GREAT Ken!!! Enjoy!!!

The handles on our Rogers' Rangers Series are 18", but can be cut down, like most throwers typically do to their Hawks, but they actually throw quite well at 18" due to the lighter head weight (on the Spike Hawk) and proper edge geometry.

We look forward to filling your order!!!
cool.gif

------------------
Andy Prisco,
Co-Founder, Manager
American Tomahawk Company
877-557-5200
http://www.americantomahawk.com
----------------------

Back