Questions on Military for owners and Sal

(1) What has become of Cliff Stamp's rather disparaging review of the Military? He was convinced that the lockup is not stable because tight grips and lateral pressure caused his to disengage. This happened out of the box and after service by the factory.

(2) What changes have been made from year to year? There's the pivot pin and the etching, but I'm sure there are others (like in the choils).

Now this was something I was tempted to ask! Cliff did seem to be taking the piss on this issue a bit. I have YET to have my Military fail EVER.

Also I have yet to find S60V a brittle steel.

But then again, Cliff could break anything!

I am also VERY interested to hear the history of the Military and if we can ever see a limited prod run of CF Militaries like Sal carries
wink.gif
I Wana wana want one! Right after I get my Baby Military in BG-42!
wink.gif

------------------
Wayne.
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!

I haven't seen anyone complain about accidentally unlocking the Military except Cliff Stamp. His experience seems to be unique.

The "white knuckle" test isn't destructive at all, so it's easy for others to repeat. If accidentally unlocking the knife is a concern, just go to a store and pick up a Military, open it, then squeeze the heck out of the handle and see what happens.

The problem reported with the lockup of the first version of the Military was that it would get stuck in the open position and not unlock.

Concern about 440V being brittle is a bigger issue, IMO. People complain about it's apparent lack of toughness on a pretty regular basis. My belief currently is that it's slightly more brittle than other stainless steels.

That doesn't necessarily make it a bad steel, though. It has other advantages; it's easy to sharpen because it quickly forms a detectable burr (unlike some other stainless steels, where sharpening them is like knapping flint), and it seems to be very stain and wear resistant.

------------------
Cerulean

"My good reason to carry a knife is that God gave me rather weak teeth and rudimentary claws in an evolutionary trade-off." - J.K.M.

[This message has been edited by cerulean (edited 04-16-2001).]

Surely, someone here can give us a rundown of the differences between models/years?

Hi Shmackey. There is rally no formal "record keeping" of changes in models. We regularly make changes to many of the models. Little improvements, many of which the ELU would not even notice.(eg; a slight change in the angle of a lock part, etc.)

Since the military was introduced, there was the "1st" model which can be identified as having a serration on the choil and a clip fastened with two screws. The "2nd" version had a clip fastened with 3 screws which was purpose built for the model.

Over the years we hve made many refinements to the model (more than 10, less than 25)

We added an eccentric pivot, an arc ramp, new clip, removed serrations from choil, changed heat treat, changed engraving, made G10 changes in spec & texture, added steel tubes in the back spacer, nested the stop pin into the liner & G10, etc., etc.

We will be making additional changes in the future.

When we set up the museum at the Factory Outlet store next year, we will make every attempt to summarize development of each model (to the best of our ability).

Regarding Cliff. He can squash ball bearings in his bare hands. He also can "find" a way to unlock a knife by squeezing the model in most models. We have actually sent him models to test for us. We use his info to further develop our models.

However, to date, we have not had problems with the Military lock.

hope that helps.

sal

Thanks so much, Sal. This kind of interaction between you and your customers is one of the things that keeps me buying Spyderco almost exclusively. (I can't stay away from the Axis locks, of course...)

I think your take on Cliff's destructive capacities is shared by lots of members. And I also agree that any folding knife can be made to fold.

What are the ball bearings made from? Normal steel or tool steel?
wink.gif

Any word on the Mini Military Sal?

Oh and any chance of a limited run of CF Militaries? Just like you have? Please?

------------------
Wayne.
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!

Back