Recommendation? Questions re: building mass with epoxy

I have peened too hard and broken off a corner of the handle on a few projects. I wrapped a little masking tape around the shape and filled the gap with epoxy. Size is about 70% the volume of a dime-sized sphere (not sure how else to describe it, sorry).

I am finding that the epoxy is rubbery. I was hoping it would be rigid like the rest of the resin handles.

Is this normal? Do I need to mix more resin or more hardener or something to make it harder?

And how can I sand this? It balls up a little and comes off in chunks if I am not careful.

Thanks yet again for all of your ideas, folks!

Nothing you do will look right or last doing it that way. Best to remove the scales and start over.

lessons learned.

Probably best to glue on the resin scales with waxed pins, let glue dry, remove the pins. Taper the holes and use nickel silver or brass and peen to fill the hole and sand smooth.

Time. Resin will get harder with time, and shrink in that time some. A little heat will help it cure and get hard. Also, ensure your mix is right, correct amount of hardener and surfacing wax, if needed (if it’s not already in your resin

Had another thought also. If your resin is old, especially your hardener, it can cause curing problems. Vinyl and polyester resins that use MEK as hardener are especially sensitive to the hardeners age. Maybe try a new batch.

I had that happen to a lay up I did recently. My resin had been working fine for months then all of a sudden, a week after some did fine, I couldn’t get it to cure without TONS of heat. A little research and found that info. Never had that trouble before. Tried a mix with new hardener I happened to have around, same resin, and it cured up just fine.

Depends about what epoxy too. There are some fast epoxies that stay somewhat soft even when fully cured. Acraglass or similar bedding epoxies cure really hard, but they take time.

I agree with AVigil.
It'll never look right so take it apart and do it again.

That's a good decision to make but I am also hoping to learn about the materials, as well.

It's working right now in our kitchen. I'd have to re-handle it if I were to make it a gift (unless it is for my mom who loves it, anyway).

Yes, redo.
On epoxy: let it cure warm, it won't cure well cold. That may be why is stayed gummy

Back