Questions re: Pentagon Elite II

Jim March

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Just found out about this puppy...VERY interesting as a possible worthy backup to the Sifu. At 6" overall, it'd have real potential as primary carry.

One concern though...in this picture:
pentelite2.gif

...there seems to be a steep "cutaway" just inboard of the serrations. It *appears* that the indentation in the blade steel will run very close to the pivot pin, weakening the base of the blade. Is that some sort of camera illusion or...?

I've never seen a folder tang radically thinned quite like that.

On the plus side, in this pic it appears that about 3/4ths of an inch worth of spine near the tip could be safely sharpened:
pentelite2closed.gif

Other comments: one strange problem with the Sifu is that it's G10 grip wears holes in pockets - rapidly. SOG's Zytel won't suffer that problem, and if the grip is properly designed it's higher "slickness factor" over G10 won't be a massive problem. Based purely on the pictures, the grip here looks pretty good. This may be a very good "deep cover" megafolder when a Sifu on a belt sheath is overkill.

Upshot: I'll be buying one the moment they hit the market and will post a more complete review. This appears to be a very welcome megafolder option at a good price point. It's no Sifu, but it'll have it's nitch failing any gross design flaws.

Stretching the design even further and doing BG42 would be HIGHLY desirable
smile.gif

Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim March (edited 04-14-2000).]

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the kind comments about our new Pentagon Elite 2 (PE2).

I've spend quite some time carrying the PE1 (the smaller, and original version) and have found it very secure on my pocket, never has yet worn a hole in my pants, and the grips have been wonderful.

Regarding the tang "cutaway," I'll have to look into that further. It may be intrinsic to the design, or just part of the prototype from which the picture was taken. Remember, though, the PE2 has a really thick blade which will add to its strength. I don't know the exact thickness, but .18-.20 woundn't surprise me. If I get an answer on this topic, I'll post it.

The PE2 prototype I've played with is so awesome, it instantly made it on my list of new products to personally purchase!

Jim, great to see you here...thanks for the post!

Ron@SOG

------------------
Email: ron@sogknives.com

[This message has been edited by Ron@SOG (edited 04-14-2000).]

Hi Ron.

Ya, my sole concern is that tang strength issue. If the blade stock is nice'n'thick, that's all to the good. Opens will be faster and strength goes up.

As I understand it, grip construction is Zytel scales over dual stainless liners? That should be almost as strong as the Sifu's setup and a good step up from from most Zytels such as the Cold Steel Voyagers. The grip seems to be riveted together instead of screwed? I kinda like being able to do total disassembly on my own for cleaning like I can the Sifu...oh well.

Some follow-up questions:

Is the lock release amidextrous?

Are the thumbstuds ambi?

Can the clip be swapped from side to side? Not that I personally care, any knife I own loses it's clip FIRST thing and I approve of the screws for doing so
smile.gif

What else...AUS8 should be fine for the task. BG42 would be a nice option down the road but...not really critical in a "streetfighter" and let's be honest, that's exactly what this is. Besides, SOG has a reputation for doing heat treats on 440A that take it from "ewwww yuck" to "not bad at all"
smile.gif
. You guys and Myerchin share that reputation. If you try as hard on the AUS8 heat-treat, it'll do.

If list is $99, it'll hit the street at around $80 or so. It'll be *killer* in the bang-for-the-buck department.

That grip *looks* like it'll real well work in a thumbcapped reverse icepick. I look forward to evaluating it's handling but the basics aren't bad.

I've always admired SOG, but with the ability to carry big folders in California they've never been a must-have. You've changed that, bigtime
smile.gif

Now...if you have the guts to build a serious fighting folder like this, maybe you'd be willing to consider the OTHER critter I've askin' about for even longer than megafolders.

How about a Muscrat
biggrin.gif
?

Seriously...use the X-Ray Vision as a base platform, put one blade on each end of the grip. The lock parts will be same as normal, ditto the blades, the grip...will be something else again. But the end result is a POTENT fighter that fits within the all-too-common sub-4" restrictions in a lot of states.

The real key to a Muscrat is that the baddie can't tell if you're doing forward or reverse grip techniques. In reality, you can "shift invisibly" from one to the other. That's why you can't build a megafolder muscrat, the grip would be too long for "dual use".

The X-Ray Vision is low enough in cost and high enough in quality, with a modern lock, to pull this off in the $250 range. That's low enough in price that some people WILL snatch up such a unique fighter that maximizes the possibilities in some highly restrictive legal climates
smile.gif

At least consider it...?

Jim

Jim, I took a look at the picture posted above and I think I know why tha deep cutout is there. Imagine the knife closed...see where the cutout goes? Right about where the lockwork rests. It has to be that way to close.

I just went and took a look at the new products at the SOG Website and the new Visions have a fairly deep cutout as does the Access Card though that is harder to notice. Definitely a consequence of the Arc Lock.

Jim, while I was over there, in the specs on the PEII, it says it is machine screw construction, although it looks pinned or riveted to me...I don't know...Ron?

[This message has been edited by leroys_45 (edited 04-15-2000).]

Hi Guys,

To answer questions:

Dual steel liners? Yes!
Lock ambidexdrous? Yes!
Clip ambidexdrous? Yes! (Mounts both sides)
Thumbstud ambidexdrous? Yes!
Screws vs. Rivots? Screws! (Looks like rivets from one side, but screws on the other)
A Muscrat in SOG's future? Who knows, probably not...But I'll pass that on to R&D. Nice thought!

Leroy: I'm not in on the tech side of things (I can barely change a lightswitch for my wife
smile.gif
so they wouldn't want me in the design room), but you might have something about the reasoning for deeper cutouts on the ArcLock knives. I'll check into this.

By the way, thanks for your generous comments about SOG and our knives!

Ron@SOG

------------------
Email: ron@sogknives.com

It IS bolted...KEWL.

Assuming that tang is OK, this thing is awesome if you want "slightly lower profile than a Sifu".

SO WHEN DOES IT SHIP
biggrin.gif
?

Jim

Mid to LATE summer!?

Grrruuuuuuuumble!

biggrin.gif

Jim

Back