Questions regarding my CQC6 for the usual suspects...

Well, after reading through the archives and checking out a few pictures I've got a couple questions regarding the "uniqueness" of my knife.

It is a CQC6 I bought from Mark McWillis of Benchmade in the fall of '95. It has a satin blade with what I thought was a funny grind. I was partial to the "blockier" looking "half-moon" models. When I first got it I didn't even like it as the blade more resembles a CQC7 then the 6s I'd seen pictures of. It has plain, grayish scales, that don't seem to be the same "greenish" material I see in the color magazine pictures. The hardware is all slotted screws, I'm not sure if that matters - but I saw one or two online photos of 6s with philips screws and a hex cross bolt. The logo is the newer SpecWar (much to my disapointment), and appears to be "white" based on a picture posted elsewhere in the forum that showed both "white" and "black" logos. It has the scallops on both bolsters (I believe, don't have with me right now, I'm on the road this week...) I'm not sure about the grind as I'm still a little fuzzy on that, but I'd say it's a single as the bevel comes right down to the edge.

Truthfully, when I first got the knife I was a little disapointed. I didn't know the logo had changed - and I liked the half-moon better. The scales seemed (and still do) substandard to those I saw in pictures - but it may be that the light and flashes bring out color that isn't there in normal light. I really was unhappy with the grind of the blade as overall it's much more streamline then the "chunky" CQC6s I had seen, at first I thought I'd gotten a CQC7. From looking at pictures I now gather that it's a 6 for sure due to the handle design which comes to a "point." The pocket clip doesn't SAY benchmade on it, so I'm sure if it is one or not.

Can anyone tell me anything about the knife based on my description? Is it one of the ones from before things started going downhill? (If that is even true...)

Is there anything that would make it intersting enough to trade for a "half-moon" knife?

Anything interesting or out of the ordinary about it?

I would like to trade if possible (only for a half-moon). My knife has been used - not for cutting (the blade had opened 3 bags of chips and that's it if my memory serves me correctly.) I carried for "just in case" reasons for about 2 years while working in DC. There is pocket wear on the bolsters (thery're shiny), but nothing that can't be fixed with a sand blast (I'm sending back to be refinished - see my previous post...) The pocket clip has a single, rather large scratch on it that will be fixed during the rehab by replacement. (Or removed by refinishing) The screws aren't thrashed but do show signs of having been turned with a slightly too small driver - again it sounds as if they will be replaced during overhaul.

Any info (especially about the scales and the single/double grind matters) would be appreciated. Also what are the file marks susposed to be? There are little notches in the liner lock, and big notches on the rear spine of the blade, are these "file work?" (I can't remember for sure if there are any on the bottoms of the liners, but I believe there is...)

Would anyone consider a trade of my 6 (reconditioned) for a half-moon? I might throw in a little cash to sweeten the deal - since the half-moons are susposed to be "better." If yours is used but could be re-habed to like new that's cool. I just like the "older", blockier, stubbier look better.

Thanks,

-Calvin

Back