Quick Buck Stockman 303 Review

Last time I had a stockman pocketknife, I was 10 years old. After searching and researching for months, I saw a Labor Day sale and decided I should try a stockman again. Went back and forth between Case and Buck...after reading enough posts with Case stockman quality issues, I went with a Buck 303. Here it is pictured with my stockman knives from 40+ years ago. Gotta admit...they're both pretty ugly, but to a 10 year old kid, they were golden!

0nlvURN.jpg

Buck 303 Pros -- Personally, I like the black and silver look and the rougher finish of the blades. Blades were shaving sharp out of the box. All three blades fit well and open with ease. Good snap. Seems like a working knife which is what I was looking for. Good knife for the price!

Buck 303 Cons -- Worry a little about the ease of pull. If it stays the same, great...if it weakens, not good. Overall shape is definitely "blocky"...this is not a sleek, refined stockman. Probably can't carry with some pairs of pants.

Good choice in an daily user, S Snow Walker .:thumbsup::thumbsup: You shouldn't have any problem with weakening springs but if you have any issues you can rely on Buck's life time warranty. The bolster's corners can easily be rounded with a belt sander or sand paper if you choose, (though that may void the warranty?). Enjoy your new 303! :)

1994 303 Buck Cadet
GGfqAdO.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Old Biker...not too much interest in a 303 review. It got buried in a heartbeat. Lots of activity on the Traditional Forum. Guess that's a good thing.

The top knife with the brown scales is a Utica Kutmaster...probably the ugliest knife I own. Was my main pocketknife from about age 8-10. Not sure where it came from. My dad gave it to me to use. The bottom one is an Imperial. The scales are in rough shape...they were originally red, white, and blue. My dad got it as an advertising knife from a local feed dealer. That was the stockman he always carried. Both these knives were in our pockets daily until dad decided we needed to upgrade to big, belt sheath Buck 110 clones...he got me a Craftsman while he carried a Schrade LB7. I have both those knives yet, too. Not sure why he got us each different knives. Good questions to ask before people die...

The 303 is one of my favorite stockman knives. Mine was made in 1996. If yours is anything like mine the pull will not lighten noticably.

It's rare to find lazy blades on old Buck knives. If the springs do weaken over time, though, Buck will fix it.

That 303 is a good looking knife, S Snow Walker . Thanks for the review. I am really looking forward to getting this years forum knife, I hear a lot of good things about Buck knives! Hope yours serves you well!

Back in the 70's I had a Buck 303. Carried it daily at work and afterward too. Lost it but can't remember exactly when or how, but I've always missed that knife. I just like the way it looked. About a month ago I ordered one and got it. Made me really happy to have another 303. I use it quite a bit just whittling and goofing off with it. It's a good all round pocket knife.

In the 70's I bought a 303 from the BX and carried it for many years in the Air Force. I now carry pocket clip Bucks but still have the Camillus made 303.

K8TDagQ.jpg

The single Buck I have yet is a 303 I got for a song. Sharp and light. The pull is a soft 4, very nice. I don't think it will weaken.
Buck_303.jpg
Buck_303_2016.jpg

Back