quick Case XX question

I have an old red bone Case XX 65-69 5347 HP, nice premium serp stockman, was wondering what the HP stands for, as I havent seen that on many knives. Thanks in advance!

It means the knife will have a both a sheepfoot and spey blade.

Thank you......Im surprised I dont see that stamp more often, as it seems a lot of their stockmans have both those blades??

And, the 5347 designates stag, if your knife was red bone it would be a 6347, although maybe at some time it was re-scaled (or maybe the stag is red?)

yeah, I guess youre right, it is 6347 HP and no ss so cv? it was worn out on the top of the 6, it is well worn red bone, deep red.

I'd love to see a pic of that knife. I have a 5347HP SS (stainless), 1977 3-dot, with the 'Blue Scroll' etch on the clip blade. Really like the pattern.

It sounds like you've got a nice one, especially in the carbon steel. And I really envy those who've gotten their hands on the old, DEEP red bone versions. Just don't see scales like that very often, anymore.

They only put the letters "HP" in the pattern number if the pattern was offered in more than one blade combo as the 47 was. For example the 6392 has sheepfoot and spey secondary blades but there is no 6392 HP since (as of about 1950) the 6392 was only offered with that blade combo for the secondary blades.

excellent, clears things up for me... thanks. I will get a pic or two up here, got a few interesting ones for Bernard to see anyway, like a northfield whittler tang stamped over holley!

Photo05172006.jpg

Photo05172010.jpg

1970 62087 in my pocket now with deep red bone scales...

Those scales are as gorgeous as I could've imagined. They just don't seem to make 'em that way (that RED) anymore.

Nice! :thumbup:

hey thanks, all of a sudden I saw the case red bone jack(cell phone pics above) and have taken a real liking to those scales and have picked up a few recently......still getting the hang of uploading and sizing though...

I have read that the reason the bone is not as deep red anymore is because the dye they used back in the day is not legal to use due to the EPA imposing restrictions on the dye formula. I don't know that for fact, but I think it's true. Love the old red bone. I've been looking for a 1979 trapper in that red bone.

Back