Quick Comments from NY Blade Show``

Lenny

Gold Member
First table I visited at the show yesterday.
Mr Reeve was a gentleman as usual.
Also, first time I met Tall Paul, (Sorry for not socializing, but I had a late one on Thurs night and still had a long drive to Western NJ to go. I was dead tired.) Also, thanks for being a true gentleman about my "Sebenza odyssy".
Anyway, I got to handle Mr Reeve's personal Mnandi (as all the ones he had for sale were already gone 1 hour into the show). Definitely gorgeous and fills a niche between the Umfaan and Small Sebenza. However, I'd need more practice with that opening cutout to get proficient at it. Also, this was the first time I've ever handled a small Sebenza and I only have one thing to say; I need to buy one! In a way, I like it better than my Large! For some strange reason, I was predominantly looking at all the smaller offerings on the tables yesterday. In years past, only the larger stuff caught my eyes. Whats happening to me? Is anyone else going thru this?
Lenny

Lenny, Lucky You...someday I hope to make it to one of the bigger shows. I really like the "larger" folders also. But what I tend to carry day after day (actually decade after decade) are folders with blades in the 2 /7/8"-3 1/4" range. So I even though I like the bigger knives, I just don't buy too many.

Lenny - I know what yer feelin' dude. I started out with a Spyderco Native (3"), then bought a large Sebenza, and then started looking for bigger carries (710, Military, etc). However, I've found myself turning more toward smaller blades now, and I have a small Classic as my EDC.

For me, I think I just really appreciate the versatility of the small Sebbie - I can carry it just about anywhere, people/sheeple don't overreact to it, and it does everything I need a knife to do in the urban jungle.

Plus the smaller folders leave more room in the pockets for all those other gadgets :D

Besides Chris Reeve's personal Mnandi I also got to see his large classic with wood inserts. He told me that he was going to make them available as a regular woodie option. By the way the two Mnadi's he sold were desert ironwood if I understood him correctly. Didn't get to see them though.

The other maker I was really impressed by was Scott Cook but I better not mention anything about him in this forum.

protodoc

Originally posted by protodoc
The other maker I was really impressed by was Scott Cook but I better not mention anything about him in this forum.

protodoc

I also got to meet Scott recently, and had a very good time discussing various CRK products with him. He was very positive about his experiences working there and had lot's of interesting tid-bits of knowledge to share. So while you might not want to discuss his custom work here on the dedicated CRK forum, his past input at the company is sure to be of interest.

Back