Quick sharpening question

larry44

Gold Member
I have a DEK1. I know hand sharpening is best but I'm not capable of that. I own a Ken Onion Work Sharp. Should I touch up the blade at 15 or 20 degrees? Thanks for your suggestions!

Specs:
Delta 3V, 60-61 HRC, .160" thick at ricasso (a little over 5/32")
Total length 9.125
Blade length 4.5
Weight 6.2 oz
Edge angle 20 DPS
Grippy 3D machined scales in micarta or G10
Titanium fasteners
Hidden lanyard

Thanks for the reply; I knew the edge angle but I also read that Nathan hand sharpened an additional 12 degree secondary edge (did I say that right?). Will that make a difference or should I just touch up at 20?

I have a DEK1. I know hand sharpening is best but I'm not capable of that. I own a Ken Onion Work Sharp. Should I touch up the blade at 15 or 20 degrees? Thanks for your suggestions!
Nathan has specifically recommended NOT using any dry belt sander type sharpeners (the KE WS falls in that category).

The issue is that they very easily overheat the very edge (the sharper the edge, the less material to absorb the heat from the friction). This would negatively impact the Delta heat treat they developed specifically to enhance edge retention.

If you don't have the skill for hand sharpening, as recommended, a Spyderco Sharpmaker can be used to touch up the edge.

If you can't sharpen by free hand, I would recommend a guided sharpening system. I know this is just personal, but I'd stay away from powered sharpeners, save those for your lawnmower blades. A fine cutting tool like a CPK, especially with a thin edge like I keep mine, needs a good hand sharpening.

If you can't sharpen by free hand, I would recommend a guided sharpening system. I know this is just personal, but I'd stay away from powered sharpeners, save those for your lawnmower blades. A fine cutting tool like a CPK, especially with a thin edge like I keep mine, needs a good hand sharpening.
I appreciate your advice.

Back