R-1 Stick Knife Arrives! - Review with pics

I was lucky enough to snag this knife a short while back as a "leftover" sale on the DOTD. This was one model I wasn't quite sure about, despite Nasty's positive comments on it. (Nasty got the very first R-1, which is identical to this one as far as I know, and then there was a second that was a bit lighter I believe, without the brass pommel. There may be more than these 3 that I have missed.)

Yangdu and I did the deal, and I have to say I am really pleased with it. This one is by Kami Dil, who is very capable, and is 15.25" long with a weight of 30.1 oz. The blade measures 9.5" and the handle a generous 5.75". This is one of the most comfortable HI handles I have ever held. As you can see in the pictures, there is a great swell and curve to it that fills your hand nicely without being too large, and makes using the knife a pleasure. There is some nice white feathering in the horn on the top right side.

The spine is an exact 10 mm. at the bolster, or .40". This drops to .385" about mid-blade, and reaches a min of .355" near the tip, for almost zero distal taper, which is how the knife is designed. The working edge is good, but not razor sharp (which I will address tomorrow!)

The sheath is a nicely done black leather. The one on mine is that smooth very supple leather as found on the Salyan scabbards, for those of you who have those. The loops are well fitted and snug the blade down into the sheath groove, and are complete with official HI Great State of Oklahoma snaps. :D The frog is fastened to the sheath body with rivets, that are fastened through the sheath and held in place with heavy staples that are pounded flush with the leather. Makes for a very slim design, and the entire sheath weighs just 3.8 oz.

In using it I really love the combination of easy handling, great handle, compact size and real power. It balances very nicely, and I was surprised at how agile it was. The blade is really highly polished and finished.

This knife would shine at lopping off branches or hooking heavy brush, etc. It is "non-traditional" in the sense that it doesn't look like the normal kukri offerings from HI, but don't let that hold you back if you have a chance to snag one.

About the only slight negative I would point out on this is that the exposed handle tang was not given the same high polish that the blade has, so looks somewhat bleak in comparison. There are a few tool marks, etc., on that portion of the tang, which I will be polishing out. If the blade were a satin finish this would be less noticeable, but it's there. Not a big deal and easily fixed with a little elbow grease.

Here are a few pics: (Sorry for the reflected pattern in the pic; that is an overhead trellis.)

Right side and sheath:

attachment.php

Left side:

attachment.php

Good shot of the spine:

attachment.php

Side shot buried in wood:

attachment.php

And as hard as I could into the 6X6:

attachment.php

These last two were really impressive to me. This thing just hits like a truck, all out of proportion to its compact size. Also, note that the wide flat spine makes it perfect for batonning through material if necessary. All in all a great addition to my HI collection.

Thanks Yangdu for another cool design, and for getting this to me in record time. :thumbup:

Norm

Attachments

• R-1 Stick Knife right.jpg
    R-1 Stick Knife right.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 411
  • R-1 Stick Knife left.jpg
    R-1 Stick Knife left.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 407
  • R-1 Stick Knife spine.jpg
    R-1 Stick Knife spine.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 405
  • R-1 Stick Knife chop1.jpg
    R-1 Stick Knife chop1.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 402
  • R-1 Stick Knife chop2.jpg
    R-1 Stick Knife chop2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 404
Wanted to add one last pic, as I ran out of space in the previous post. Here's one viewing the knife head on, so that you can see the "tip" such as it is, along with a bit of the front hook/curve. My rare Tibetan pillow hound Barkley is assisting. :D

Norm

attachment.php

Attachments

• R-1 Stick Knife head on.jpg
    R-1 Stick Knife head on.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 391
hahaha...

*Told* you it was a great knife!

Am *I* a great judge of this or what? ;)

That penetration is really impressive. And the handle looks very comfortable. The more I see and hear of this blade the more I like it. Thanks for posting your pics...great dog too.
DanR

I almost pick up that one up, Norm;) I decided to go with the backward blade sword instead.:D I really want to get one of those stick knives one day. I have enjoyed the heck out of my hasiya, and i think that brute would just handle anything I could throw at it with ease.

Jake

Oh.. by the way.. I'm assuming that the part of the blade that was buried in the wood is the sweet spot??

hahaha...

*Told* you it was a great knife!

Am *I* a great judge of this or what? ;)

Yep, you called it for sure Nasty! I was thinking with many models of HI knives this one wouldn't really be needed, but glad I gave it a chance. Cool design.

Oh.. by the way.. I'm assuming that the part of the blade that was buried in the wood is the sweet spot??

I need to take the next step in thoroughness for my reviews like Dave does, and etch them and report my findings. Yes, I'm assuming the blade is fully hardened along the edge in that area. A file skates along it briskly, and I may have just been lucky but I don't see it hitting this hard or biting that deeply if it wasn't pretty well hardened. I need to find out how far back it goes, but with this design it is somewhat difficult to get it to hit anywhere BUT the sweet spot, if you know what I mean.

Norm

Nice exam of an unusual HI offering. Glad you like it, Norm; looks like its stuck halfway through a 4x4 :eek:

Mike

This would make a good camping tool for those times when a "weapon" looking blade is inappropriate.

Great review and pictures, thank you Norm

Beautiful!!

I have a dumb question, though. Why is it called a "stick knife"?

Thanks!

Andy

Hmm. Beats me! I'm pretty sure that was the original designation. I believe that there is an ethnic class of knives named such, and that this is the HI version of that design.

Norm

Email sent on cute dog.

Sorry Bob, he's a holy terror and I couldn't be responsible. He would probably go right for the throat, and there would be no way you could stop him. :D

It was all I could do to keep him from attacking while I took the pic. You can see his fierce expression in the picture. Scary! (I think the knife kept him at bay though. ;) )

Norm

Yangdu asked me to say something about the Stick knife, and i guess this the right thread.

There are apparently many Nepalis living in India, and retired Ghurkas in both Nepal and India, and they like the "stick knife' for clearing jungle and chopping wood.

that's the current application of this design in Yangdu's old stomping grounds, anyway.

If I knew any more I'd be living in Nepal with my own Stick Knife.

munk

I don't have any insightful comments to make on the "Stick Knife," other than to say that if someone ever starts chasing me with one, I'll be doing the fastest running I have done in years. :)

Eric

I got mine in today and I just love it. It handles great and cuts terrific. Your pictures and review inspired me to buy mine, thanks Norm. :thumbup:

Back