1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

R-6 Sarge from 11/20 is one tough cookie

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by greenwoods, Dec 1, 2007.

1. greenwoods

greenwoods

Sep 2, 2006
    I was going to wait until I made it back from our family and friends deer hunting cabin to give a sitrep on the Sarge, as it spoke to me as a hard user and well put together skinning knife. Events helped changed my mind.

Our young cousin hit a doe the other day and called Holly after calling for road assistance . The poor doe was suffering at the roadside when we got there, and our cousin,thankfully she was unhurt, yet she was emotionally broke up at hurting the deer. I only had the Sarge and a few smaller edc's on me,(cqc7,puma stockman). We helped ease,(with the help of the Sarge), the poor animal and asked the Great spirit to welcome this new arrival.
    After the sheriff arrived and I got the ok we brought our cousin home and later processed out the deer. I am a firm believer in never wasting anything, and there are unfortunately many car killed animals near our house. Sometimes our families use the meat and hide, sometimes we bring the meat into the city to places that accept venison for the needy. They won't take possum,coon or squirrel, but they do eyeball me as if I were insane when I ask.

The R-6 worked expertly as a skinner, even though I was extra careful not to nick anything I ought not to with the sharpened clip. I also found the clip the hardest temper on the knife, it takes a scalpel sharpness, so I was careful not to put it in a position where I might snap it, ie. can't pry and dig bone and wood like the tip of my Gool.

I experienced my first shrinkage...of the black horn handles with this knife. A little grinding of the full tang that was raised above the handle with my foredom and it was smooth and fit my hand very nice. The choil makes it a very stable blade up or blade down, especially nice control for tight,close in work.

Every, next new belt knife Holly brings into my realm from HI vies to become my favorite part of my nessie trio of well heeled belt knife,small double bit pocket axe and pocket folder. :thumbup:

With all of the wonderful R- series of knives from HI, eventually I'll have to convert my old SCA kidney belt to carry all 10(or more) of the sheaths. I'll just have to say it's my Sayoc Silat( all knife, all the time ) belt.

I also used the Sarge knife to cut 4 sets of rubber soles from some non-steel belted tires I've been saving for some vc sandal bottoms. Didn't dull the blade much to cut them.
    Thanks for reading,
    Be Well All.
    mark

2. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    Great review, Mark.:thumbup: The R6 is a great belt knife. I use mine at work to cut open boxes and pry things apart. It's one of my favorite users and abusers:)

3. greenwoods

greenwoods

Sep 2, 2006
    I appreciate the kind words Jake. I am by nature detail oriented and, ( my girls might say, long winded ). I never know how much information to put in a post nor what to leave out. I want to serve the reader that is taking the time to read it, not bore them, nor leave out parts I feel are relevent.
    Thanks
    mark

4. DrThunder88

DrThunder88

Apr 26, 2007
    I don't think I've ever known a knife as small as an R-6 that could chop as well as it does and still cut cleanly afterward.

5. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    LOL:D Do a search on some of my posts if you want to see someone that is overly long winded. I personally enjoy a good wall-o-words. These are individual blades, each unique and one of a kind. I like hearing each one of their stories:D:thumbup:

6. orca8589

orca8589

Jan 27, 2007
    Don't worry, you're in the right place. I never tire of reading all the great stories out there, especially with HI knives.

I'm hoping to add a few of my own soon.

Hope your cousin is ok; my stepmother hit a deer in Montana 20 years ago, and was upset for days. It's a familiar feeling to some of us . . .

thx - cpr